Glassonion91168
Cool Member

Thawing frozen tomatoes

I've been itching to make my grandma's sauce with my frozen tomatoes. I'm curious, what's the best way to defrost them? How long does it take to completely defrost?

Thanks!

Meatburner

Most frozen meats and vegs are best defrosted by putting them in the refrigerator section to slowly thaw. The time will depend on the temperature of your refrigerator but it is usually a couple of days. Big bulky things can be several days.

Glassonion91168
Cool Member

Thanks!!!

applestar
Mod

I'm impatient and don't plan ahead well -- meals anyway -- and I'm maybe talking about a much smaller quantity... But I rip open a quart freezer bag (because they won't come out otherwise -- put the block of frozen tomatoes in the bottom of a pot and set it covered on the stove at med-low. Go do other things until I see steam.

The tomato block will have thawed and leached out watery liquid. Solid block just sitting there in the liquid like an iceberg. So. I pour out and reserve the broth, which I normally use for soups and stuff (though I tried tasting it cooled and it was delicious to drink straight -- full of flavor). I then stir the block until loose and put the pulp through the food mill to remove skin, etc. then go on from there. :()

Glassonion91168
Cool Member

Ohhhhh I like that idea too!! :-)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”