KennyCouch

Tomatos not doing well

Is what I am seeing blight? Most photos I see is full blown blight with destroyed tomatos, etc. I'd like to know what I'm looking at so I can can quarantine a plant and photograph the stages as it eats the whole plant.
DSCN0620.jpg
DSCN0620.jpg (28.46 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
Thanks for any comments!

imafan26
Mod

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:It doesn't look so much like blight but it could be thrip damage.
I think so too.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree, not blight. Possibly just a bit of sunscald, especially if they weren't real well hardened off when they went out.

KennyCouch

I started them in a greenhouse but it went from a few weeks of overcast weather to a few days of pure sun, hopefully just a little sun scalded. I'll read up on the thrips too. Thanks much everyone!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

yes looks like it could be environmental damage I.e. sunscald.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

It looks like either wind burn or too much sun too early. They should survive.

KennyCouch

Was definitely sun scald. I chopped the sun scalded growth after new leaves appeared and now they are much happier. Had same problem on my cucumbers cause I put them out too early, but I had 2x as many cucumber starters this year so I may switch them out if they don't perk up too.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Tender leaves are just so easy to damage. This year my plants had to stay inside way more than usual. Consequently, they are not nearly as stocky and strong looking as in a typical year when they have pretty frequent outdoor time the whole time the young plants are developing. So far the tender plants have gotten a bit of sun scald, some wind damage, and some damage from being left outside on too chilly a night. Most of this kind of damage is just superficial, though one night that dips overly low may do permanent damage or may kill the entire plant.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”