applestar
Mod

Re: 2014 tomato garden -- what varieties are you growing?

"too early to tell" -- wisdom in your words, Gixx :wink:

After some significant trouble I had with getting them to germinate -- not the seed fault: more likely the sudden dips into low overnight temp, generally lower germination temp than intended, and possibly spraying the surface with straight peroxide after mold started to grow very early on -- I have these seedlings growing.

(good news is that the numbers are much more manageable than the recklessly ambitious quantity I started with :P ...Feeling really badly that I couldn't get some of those failed seeds to grow, but there is always next year 8) )

Variety Q'ty
1 42 days Tomato 2
2 Amethyst Cream 1
3 Ananas Noir "Black Pineapple" 1
4 Anmore Treasures 2
5 Balkan Tiger F4 2
6 Berkeley Tie-Dye [Heart] 1
7 Blush 1
8 Brazilian Beauty 2
9 Brian Boru 1
10 Captain Lucky 2
11 Cherokee Lime 1
12 Cherokee Lime Stripes 1
13 Chibikko micro dwarf 1
14 Coyote (not) [x Jaune Flammée?] 2
15 Dancing with Smurfs 2
16 Dixiewine 1
17 Earl's Green Cherry (not) 2
18 Faelan's First Snow 3
19 Flathead Monster "Orange Orangutan?" 1
20 Girl Girl's Weird Thing 1
21 Grandma Oliver's Chocolate 3
22 Granny's Heart 2
23 Green Gail [Big] "Lillian Marie?" 2
24 Hahms Gelbe Topftomate 2
25 Indian Zebra [Burson] "Indian Stripe Burson strain" 1
26 Jade Beauty 1
27 Jersey Devil 2
28 Liz Birt (Purple) 2
29 Maglia Rosa 1
30 Malkhitovaya Shkatulka "Malachite Box" 1
31 Manö 1
32 McKinley 2
33 New Big Dwarf 1
34 Not Purple Strawberry 1
35 Primrose Gage 1
36 Prudens Purple [big fruit] 1
37 Rainbow Dwarf 3
38 Rebel Yell F6 2
39 Rosella Purple 2
40 Royal Hillbilly 1
41 Rumplestiltskin F4 1
42 Russian Rose 1
43 San Marzano Nano [Bush] 2
44 Scarlet Knight 1
45 Shadow Boxing Dwarf (Ellie)
46 Shamrock F7 "Jackass GWR "1
47 Sleeping Lady 1
48 Stump of the World 1
49 Sweet n Neat 1
50 Tatjana 1
51 Terhune 4
52 Tidwell German 2
53 Tiny Tim 1
54 Utyonok (Gixx) 2
55 Utyonok (Sylvia) 1
56 Variegated PL x Striped Big Cheef F3#3 1
57 Wes 2
58 WMD Pink 1
59 Yellow Brandywine <TBD>
60 Yellow Dwarf 2
61 Zluta Kytice 1
62 Park's Whopper F2 6
63 "Brandy" <TBD>
Total 94(+TBD)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Great list Apple, I see a bunch from me, good to see they made it, you will not be disappointed. Thinking of few in particular.

If the yellow dwarf was from me it is a tiny plant foot or less. It would be well suited in probably a gallon planter though 2 would be better.

Good luck

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Great to see your list Apple. Delighted to see germination of at least 2 that were of concern. Have a wonderful growing season. :)

taradal
Cool Member

I just received seedlings from a friend. Her husband grows tomatoes and he sent me some of his extras. Four of his seedlings are labeled "Amanda's Brother". Apparently, he has a friend, Amanda, whose brother has been growing this variety from seed for years. From what she could describe, they are fairly small, (maybe golf ball size or a bit smaller?) red, a little pointy on the end, and absolutely delicious! Can't wait to see what is produced-I plan to post photos and maybe someone on this list can help me with an id.

applestar
Mod

Oooh! Looking forward to hearing more! 8)

feldon30

This is my first year growing in South Carolina after 4 years growing in Houston, so I am playing it a bit safe this year. We'll see how things go and maybe I'll be more adventurous next year...
  • {Arkansas} Traveler
  • Big Beef
  • Cherokee Purple
  • Earl's Faux
  • Gregori's Altai
  • Hege German Pink
  • Jet Star
  • JD's Special C-Tex
  • Kalman's Hungarian Pink
  • Neves Azorean Red
  • Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
  • Summer Cider/Aunt Gertie's Gold
  • Sungold
  • Stump of the World
  • Sweet Quartz
  • Tony's Italian
  • Wes
Out of those, Kalman's Hungarian Pink and Tony's Italian are oxheart/plum and Wes is a large oxheart. JD's Special C-Tex is a purple (along with Cherokee Purple of course). Sweet Quartz is an amazing pink cherry. Everyone knows Sungold is a monstrously productive orange cherry. Jet Star, Big Beef, and Arkansas Traveler are medium oblate tomatoes. And the rest are pretty much all beefsteaks. Can't wait!

applestar
Mod

I tried to grow Aunt Gertie's Gold (is it also known as Summer Cider? I think I did see that mentioned at Tatiana's TB) but it was one of the group of seeds that didn't germinate, and since it's grouped in Very Late in my notes, I decided it was too late by the time I decided to throw in a few last minute re-seeds.

Have you grown it before? I've heard good reviews but this was my first time (trying).

feldon30

applestar wrote:I tried to grow Aunt Gertie's Gold (is it also known as Summer Cider? I think I did see that mentioned at Tatiana's TB) but it was one of the group of seeds that didn't germinate, and since it's grouped in Very Late in my notes, I decided it was too late by the time I decided to throw in a few last minute re-seeds.

Have you grown it before? I've heard good reviews but this was my first time (trying).
At this point it's anecdotal evidence that AGG and SC are the same, from flavor to plant habit to DTM. They just seem very similar. In the next few years when at-home genetic testing of plants becomes affordable, I think we will see a reduction in duplicates.

I've never grown it, but I've tasted a few. It just stands above other orange tomatoes for me as far as being zippy and full-flavored. I've got ONE seedling of it that I hope does well. ;)
Last edited by feldon30 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Hi Mr M. It's me! Welcome to this forum. :D Your wealth of knowledge will be so helpful here.

Respectfully,
You know who!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

All I got going right now is:

Black Krim
San Marzano
Stupice
Red Robin
Totem

If I see something interesting at a nursery or even Home Depot/Lowes I may get it. I am kinda slowing down with tomatoes. Some of you grow big lists, I am that way with Chiles. Chiles get more love in my garden than tomatoes.

diygardenerzach
Newly Registered

@applestar - do you by chance still have Lillian Marie seeds? or know where to get them?

applestar
Mod

Haha I had to do a little digging since I didn’t even remember a variety called Lillian Marie… but sure enough my OP mentioned it, and when I pulled up my 2014 master tomato list, I found additional notes in the description. It doesn’t look like I grew it again. I’ll have to rummage around some more to see why I didn’t….

It looks like I originally got the seeds in trade/round robin when I was an active member of ‘tomatodepot’, and this is the C&P info about Lillian Marie in my tomato list database:
>> purchased from Marianna's as "Gail" {Green Giant x Yellow Submarine} (yellow) but produced GWR beefsteak slicer - olive with blush when ripe https://tomatodepot.proboards.com/post/57105 Another segregate? Its Sibling Marianna's "Melonball" is the large fruited white/yellow with blush segregate. Will be called Lillian Marie?
(Marianna's) Lillian Marie NEW 2014
Semi- indet. Potato leaf. 85 days.This is the best green when ripe tomato we have tasted! Second only to Green When Ripe Wild Thyme. The green, bi-clor fruits were found in a row of Lipsticks, the pink sister of the Gail line, which originated from Bill Jeffers. Size averages around eight ounces. Flavor is heavenly; sweet, spicy and very intense. Has a real WOW factor. Interior flesh has deep steaks of rose splashed against the bright green. This one is named after my mother, whose photo graces our home page because it is THE BEST! * May throw an occasional pink fruit.
Gail = Green Giant X Yellow Submarine
see thread- tomatodepot.proboards.com/thread/439/gail-progress

I searched for Marianna’s website — it’s still up but doesn’t look active — see for yourself.

CATALOG - Marianna's Heirloom seeds
https://www.mariannasheirloomseeds.com/ ... talog.html

diygardenerzach
Newly Registered

Thank you so much! Their site doesn't appear to be in stocks anymore. I might have to try to find her another way and see if she still has seeds. She is only a 5 hour drive from me, so maybe a trip to the farm?

Happy growing!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”