rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2014 tomato garden -- what varieties are you growing?

So far I have planted Better Boy hybrid, Early Cherry, and Stupice.

Other tom seeds I have on hand are Momotaro hybrid, AAA solano, Red Barn, Goose Creek Pink, Big Cheef 8, Spudatula (except for the first couple they are left overs from what gixxerific sent me last year, thanks gixx!). I ordered Red Boar from the webmaster's giveaway. Not for sure if they will all get planted, but I will try. Most of them will get given to the plant sale. I will have room for the three planted already, the Momotaro and one or two more -- if I do one plant per variety.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Gifting plants is a good idea. I realise that I said 3 neighbors but last year it was 4.

She got, I think it was, 4 plants. In a 200sqft greenhouse with saved seed, that is nothing. But, in her tiny garden on the other side of the fence ;), it wasn't difficult for me to keep track of those plants.

I hope she is happy to try some new things this year. Even if I have purchased a packet of a new-to-me, no way am I gonna commit the garden space on "my" side to 30 unknown plants! Maybe 1 or 2. Will she risk some of her space? She might. If the plants are free :).

Steve

ion

Right now, I have -

Djena Lee's Golden Girl
Golden Queen (USDA)
Healani
Early Girl
Better Boy
Margo (F3)
Tess Land Race Currant, TLRC
?TLRC unknown (could be TLRC or a cross, F2)
Margo(F2)x ?TLRC unknown
?Margo (F2) x yellow/white currant
Brandywine (Pink)
Campari (F2)
Tycoon (F3)
SunGold

And a few no-name plants. I'll add more varieties and crosses throughout the year.

applestar
Mod

UPDATED/Re-organized the list in OP -- some more varieties added ( :roll: ) some removed. Feels a bit more manageable now, though I may *try* to shave a few more off the main list. :mrgreen:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Wow!
I thought that I had a lot of tomato seeds, but I see a lot that I am not familiar with, or not personally familiar with.
Imagine if we all save seeds and share them equally so we all have the same... we would have hundreds, maybe thousands of varieties. Picking would definitely be challenging quickly! :lol:
I want to grow all of the seeds I have on hand and try some more... oh the individual descriptions in forums, and the photos and descriptions in the catalogs... I think that I am a tomato seed junky!
I don't think that I will list the ones that I am planting in seed pots, I will wait until they are garden ready and see what survived to get a spot in my garden.

I do try to keep my plants identified and bag the blooms to keep the seeds pure... but, I have the odd seedling that is soooo healthy and I lost the name tag, or mixed two and it is either or...
And then, we have the seeds.... during the fermenting, I have been known to find all the labels blown off the counter, and I have no idea what goes to what.... but they are too good to not keep! So, these get a name like: Mystery 1, 2012 and then list the possibilities. I don't usually share these, they are private grow outs.
That said, I have a pure line and I have a "landrace" of sorts. Did I mention, that fantastic tomato you tasted and just loved, and couldn't get a name for it... but you saved the seeds anyhow? Oh yeah!

applestar
Mod

Actually up and growing seedlings so far 8)
image.jpg
...plus Cherokee Tiger Striped Plum, Pit Viper, and seedlings from MIL (Yellow Brandywine, Park's Whopper F2, and a purple or dark variety that may or may not be Cherokee Purple... possibly Prudens Purple... or else one of the Wild Boar giveaways so maybe Black and Brown Boar -- she lost the tag but she's sure it was one of the varieties I gave her one year and it tasted delicious).

I also sowed Coyote (not) and Earl's Green Cherry (not) ...could not help myself... :oops:

Coyote (not) grew in my Winter Indoor from last summer harvested Coyote seed and has clear epi light orange blushed with pink skin reminiscent of Jaune Flammée when ripe with strong acid not sweet full tomato flavor.

Earl's Green Cherry (not) came from a packet of seeds marked Earl's Green Cherry. Some of the plants bore what appears to be true EGC. (Not) was early but maybe slightly later than true EGC but with fruits that were large cherry almost saladette size when fused, with multiple locule cross section like mini beefsteak. Red fruit/yellow epi with star sapphire pattern at blossom end, full tangy tomato flavor flesh and surprisingly sweet and tasty skin. Most likely an accidental bee cross -- source of seeds also found similar off types in his patch last summer.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Have seed in soil as of this week! It feels late but the snow has only just left my yard after being here since early December. And, recent seasons have found me desperately trying to slow the tomatoes because cool spring weather has lingered into late May.

All of the larger, later varieties were started. They will get a second go as soon as I have any idea about their germination. By then, it will be time for the quicker varieties. All of these will move from "community containers" to 4-packs, to 3" or 4" pots.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Sprouted so far -- at least one of

1 42 days Tomato
2 Amethyst Cream
3 Ananas Noir (Black Pineapple)
4 Anmore Treasures
5 Balkan Tiger F4
6 Berkeley Tie-Dye [Heart]
7 Blush
8 Brazilian Beauty
9 Brian Boru
10 Captain Lucky
11 Cherokee Lime
12 Cherokee Lime Stripes
13 Chibikko micro dwarf
14 Coyote x Jaune Flammée
15 Dancing with Smurfs
16 Earl's Green Cherry (not)
17 Faelan's First Snow F3
18 Flathead Monster (Orange Orangutan?)
19 Girl Girl's Weird Thing
20 Grandma Oliver's Chocolate
21 Granny's Heart
22 Green Gail, Big (Lillian Marie?)
23 Hahms Gelbe Topftomate
24 INDIAN STRIPE [BURSON STRAIN]/INDIAN ZEBRA
25 Jade Beauty
26 Jersey Devil
27 Liz Birt (Purple)
28 Maglia Rosa
29 Malkhitovaya Shkatulka "Malachite Box"
30 Manö
31 McKinley
32 New Big Dwarf
33 Not Purple Strawberry
34 Primrose Gage
35 Prudens Purple (big fruit)
36 Rainbow Dwarf
37 Rebel Yell F6
38 Rosella Purple
39 Royal Hillbilly
40 Rumplestiltskin F4
41 Russian Rose
42 San Marzano Nano (Bush)
43 Scarlet Knight
44 Sleeping Lady
45 Stump of the World
46 Sweet n Neat
47 Tatjana
48 Terhune
49 Tidwell German
50 Tiny Tim
51 Utyonok (Gixx)
52 Utyonok (Sylvia)
53 Variegated PL x Striped Big Cheef F3#3
54 Wes
55 WMD Pink
56 Yellow Dwarf

PlainJane

Wow - it's fascinating seeing what others are planting. I'd love to do more, but for now it's:

Pink Berkeley Tie Dye (striped)

Porkchop (yellow)

Chocolate Stripes (another striped)

Indigo Apple (blue)

Growing in 30 gal. fabric Smart Pots to try to increase air circulation and keep the roots cooler. (And foil the nematodes! :twisted: )

mattie g
Green Thumb

I still don't have a starting setup, so I ordered mine again this year (from a new supllier though), and am hoping they'll be here in about three weeks or so. I've ordered:

Amish Paste (2)
Rose de Berne (2)
Brandywine - Suddath's (1)
Black Krim (1)
San Marzano (1)
Jersey Devil (1)

Amish Paste did great for me last year, so I'm going back to the well on them. I ordered Rose de Berne because of their similarity to Eva Purple Ball, which was incredible for me last year (harvested into November!), but the supplier didn't have them. I've cut back on the San Marzanos by one, as I'm tired of losing so many to BER later in the season, and replaced them with Jersey Devil just for somthing new. I had Black Krim a couple seasons ago, and it did OK, and Brandywines have generally done quite well for me.

With how chilly it's been so far this spring, I just hope I don't have to wait too trerribly long to plant. Long-range forecasts for mid-April on are looking promising, though!

applestar
Mod

I started a couple more varieties -- one that I really really wanted to grow -- Zluta Kytice is a garden swallowing monster of a multi flora that didn't sprout, and Dwarf Shadow Boxing. So a new screenshot of the tomato seedling map as of today:
image.jpg
image.jpg (39.19 KiB) Viewed 3082 times

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Ok...I'll play. Still a month or a little longer before I can plant them. I started 2 each Lehrer Tomates and Grandma Oliver's Chocolate about a month ago, and they're doing great. Today, I started a bigger batch. I'll do another round in a few weeks. Started today were:

Sgt. Peppers F4
Yellow dragon
Supersweet 100VF (2 of these)
German Johnson
Brandywine
Cherokee Purple
and my mystery potato leaf volunteer from last year

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

My plants are coming along okay. I have moved most varieties out of their community containers and into 4-packs.

I can report some corrections: First off, it is Pantano Romanesco not Romano. I guess I was doing a lot of thinking about paste tomatoes. And, I decided that San Marzano may require more weeks than I've got so I went with a determinate, Heinz 2653. This will only be the second time that I have grown a paste variety.

I can serve as a warning for those who choose to save seed . . . I've been doing that for my grandmother's tomato for about 20 years but didn't even know which varieties in my garden were hybrids and which I could save seed from until I became interested in the Thessaloniki tomato. It did fine when I first grew it about 10 years ago. Over the next couple of seasons, I saved seed . . . a lot of seed! So much seed that it didn't seem to make any sense to save any more.

Until now! That seed is so old that I didn't think I was gonna get any Thessaloniki plants this year. In about twice the number of days that the others needed to sprout: They finally showed up! With my less-than-pristine techniques - New Seed Frequently!

A different seed problem with the Casey's, which I was so pleased with the last several years. Good thing if I can buy that seed for 2015 because I sure didn't realize that I had none for sowing this year!

Steve
If you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. ~ Catherine Aird

Turkeytrack
Newly Registered

Has any one heard of holy cross tomatoes or does it go by another name ?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Too many to list and too early to tell. Ill get back to you Apple. 8)

applestar
Mod

"too early to tell" -- wisdom in your words, Gixx :wink:

After some significant trouble I had with getting them to germinate -- not the seed fault: more likely the sudden dips into low overnight temp, generally lower germination temp than intended, and possibly spraying the surface with straight peroxide after mold started to grow very early on -- I have these seedlings growing.

(good news is that the numbers are much more manageable than the recklessly ambitious quantity I started with :P ...Feeling really badly that I couldn't get some of those failed seeds to grow, but there is always next year 8) )

Variety Q'ty
1 42 days Tomato 2
2 Amethyst Cream 1
3 Ananas Noir "Black Pineapple" 1
4 Anmore Treasures 2
5 Balkan Tiger F4 2
6 Berkeley Tie-Dye [Heart] 1
7 Blush 1
8 Brazilian Beauty 2
9 Brian Boru 1
10 Captain Lucky 2
11 Cherokee Lime 1
12 Cherokee Lime Stripes 1
13 Chibikko micro dwarf 1
14 Coyote (not) [x Jaune Flammée?] 2
15 Dancing with Smurfs 2
16 Dixiewine 1
17 Earl's Green Cherry (not) 2
18 Faelan's First Snow 3
19 Flathead Monster "Orange Orangutan?" 1
20 Girl Girl's Weird Thing 1
21 Grandma Oliver's Chocolate 3
22 Granny's Heart 2
23 Green Gail [Big] "Lillian Marie?" 2
24 Hahms Gelbe Topftomate 2
25 Indian Zebra [Burson] "Indian Stripe Burson strain" 1
26 Jade Beauty 1
27 Jersey Devil 2
28 Liz Birt (Purple) 2
29 Maglia Rosa 1
30 Malkhitovaya Shkatulka "Malachite Box" 1
31 Manö 1
32 McKinley 2
33 New Big Dwarf 1
34 Not Purple Strawberry 1
35 Primrose Gage 1
36 Prudens Purple [big fruit] 1
37 Rainbow Dwarf 3
38 Rebel Yell F6 2
39 Rosella Purple 2
40 Royal Hillbilly 1
41 Rumplestiltskin F4 1
42 Russian Rose 1
43 San Marzano Nano [Bush] 2
44 Scarlet Knight 1
45 Shadow Boxing Dwarf (Ellie)
46 Shamrock F7 "Jackass GWR "1
47 Sleeping Lady 1
48 Stump of the World 1
49 Sweet n Neat 1
50 Tatjana 1
51 Terhune 4
52 Tidwell German 2
53 Tiny Tim 1
54 Utyonok (Gixx) 2
55 Utyonok (Sylvia) 1
56 Variegated PL x Striped Big Cheef F3#3 1
57 Wes 2
58 WMD Pink 1
59 Yellow Brandywine <TBD>
60 Yellow Dwarf 2
61 Zluta Kytice 1
62 Park's Whopper F2 6
63 "Brandy" <TBD>
Total 94(+TBD)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Great list Apple, I see a bunch from me, good to see they made it, you will not be disappointed. Thinking of few in particular.

If the yellow dwarf was from me it is a tiny plant foot or less. It would be well suited in probably a gallon planter though 2 would be better.

Good luck

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Great to see your list Apple. Delighted to see germination of at least 2 that were of concern. Have a wonderful growing season. :)

taradal
Cool Member

I just received seedlings from a friend. Her husband grows tomatoes and he sent me some of his extras. Four of his seedlings are labeled "Amanda's Brother". Apparently, he has a friend, Amanda, whose brother has been growing this variety from seed for years. From what she could describe, they are fairly small, (maybe golf ball size or a bit smaller?) red, a little pointy on the end, and absolutely delicious! Can't wait to see what is produced-I plan to post photos and maybe someone on this list can help me with an id.

applestar
Mod

Oooh! Looking forward to hearing more! 8)

feldon30

This is my first year growing in South Carolina after 4 years growing in Houston, so I am playing it a bit safe this year. We'll see how things go and maybe I'll be more adventurous next year...
  • {Arkansas} Traveler
  • Big Beef
  • Cherokee Purple
  • Earl's Faux
  • Gregori's Altai
  • Hege German Pink
  • Jet Star
  • JD's Special C-Tex
  • Kalman's Hungarian Pink
  • Neves Azorean Red
  • Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
  • Summer Cider/Aunt Gertie's Gold
  • Sungold
  • Stump of the World
  • Sweet Quartz
  • Tony's Italian
  • Wes
Out of those, Kalman's Hungarian Pink and Tony's Italian are oxheart/plum and Wes is a large oxheart. JD's Special C-Tex is a purple (along with Cherokee Purple of course). Sweet Quartz is an amazing pink cherry. Everyone knows Sungold is a monstrously productive orange cherry. Jet Star, Big Beef, and Arkansas Traveler are medium oblate tomatoes. And the rest are pretty much all beefsteaks. Can't wait!

applestar
Mod

I tried to grow Aunt Gertie's Gold (is it also known as Summer Cider? I think I did see that mentioned at Tatiana's TB) but it was one of the group of seeds that didn't germinate, and since it's grouped in Very Late in my notes, I decided it was too late by the time I decided to throw in a few last minute re-seeds.

Have you grown it before? I've heard good reviews but this was my first time (trying).

feldon30

applestar wrote:I tried to grow Aunt Gertie's Gold (is it also known as Summer Cider? I think I did see that mentioned at Tatiana's TB) but it was one of the group of seeds that didn't germinate, and since it's grouped in Very Late in my notes, I decided it was too late by the time I decided to throw in a few last minute re-seeds.

Have you grown it before? I've heard good reviews but this was my first time (trying).
At this point it's anecdotal evidence that AGG and SC are the same, from flavor to plant habit to DTM. They just seem very similar. In the next few years when at-home genetic testing of plants becomes affordable, I think we will see a reduction in duplicates.

I've never grown it, but I've tasted a few. It just stands above other orange tomatoes for me as far as being zippy and full-flavored. I've got ONE seedling of it that I hope does well. ;)
Last edited by feldon30 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Hi Mr M. It's me! Welcome to this forum. :D Your wealth of knowledge will be so helpful here.

Respectfully,
You know who!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

All I got going right now is:

Black Krim
San Marzano
Stupice
Red Robin
Totem

If I see something interesting at a nursery or even Home Depot/Lowes I may get it. I am kinda slowing down with tomatoes. Some of you grow big lists, I am that way with Chiles. Chiles get more love in my garden than tomatoes.

diygardenerzach
Newly Registered

@applestar - do you by chance still have Lillian Marie seeds? or know where to get them?

applestar
Mod

Haha I had to do a little digging since I didn’t even remember a variety called Lillian Marie… but sure enough my OP mentioned it, and when I pulled up my 2014 master tomato list, I found additional notes in the description. It doesn’t look like I grew it again. I’ll have to rummage around some more to see why I didn’t….

It looks like I originally got the seeds in trade/round robin when I was an active member of ‘tomatodepot’, and this is the C&P info about Lillian Marie in my tomato list database:
>> purchased from Marianna's as "Gail" {Green Giant x Yellow Submarine} (yellow) but produced GWR beefsteak slicer - olive with blush when ripe https://tomatodepot.proboards.com/post/57105 Another segregate? Its Sibling Marianna's "Melonball" is the large fruited white/yellow with blush segregate. Will be called Lillian Marie?
(Marianna's) Lillian Marie NEW 2014
Semi- indet. Potato leaf. 85 days.This is the best green when ripe tomato we have tasted! Second only to Green When Ripe Wild Thyme. The green, bi-clor fruits were found in a row of Lipsticks, the pink sister of the Gail line, which originated from Bill Jeffers. Size averages around eight ounces. Flavor is heavenly; sweet, spicy and very intense. Has a real WOW factor. Interior flesh has deep steaks of rose splashed against the bright green. This one is named after my mother, whose photo graces our home page because it is THE BEST! * May throw an occasional pink fruit.
Gail = Green Giant X Yellow Submarine
see thread- tomatodepot.proboards.com/thread/439/gail-progress

I searched for Marianna’s website — it’s still up but doesn’t look active — see for yourself.

CATALOG - Marianna's Heirloom seeds
https://www.mariannasheirloomseeds.com/ ... talog.html

diygardenerzach
Newly Registered

Thank you so much! Their site doesn't appear to be in stocks anymore. I might have to try to find her another way and see if she still has seeds. She is only a 5 hour drive from me, so maybe a trip to the farm?

Happy growing!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”