stephgfri
Newly Registered

Black lines inside tomatoes?

Hello everyone. I was enjoying a tomato salad I made for lunch today and noticed these black lined inside my tomato slices as I was eating it. Any idea what they might be and if they're safe to eat? Or am I looking at some kind of fungus here? The exterior of the tomatoes are all blemish free and evenly coloured - just the insides have these black lines. I've checked some of my other tomatoes and they have it too.

Any opinions appreciated!

Thanks!

Stephanie

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I am sorry but I am stumped I have no idea. I hope someone else has an answer as I would like to know for the future.

If I were a betting man I would say they are okay, but don't quote me on that. :?

wmbell
Newly Registered

I recently purchased several tomatoes at my local grocery store, and several of them had these black lines too. While researching I came across this post. I would also like to know what these are! Very odd!

imafan26
Mod

I suspect if the fruit were riper they would show signs of anthrachnose. Green fruit can be infected but the symptoms don't show up until the fruit ripens.

https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... o_Anth.htm

wmbell
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:I suspect if the fruit were riper they would show signs of anthrachnose. Green fruit can be infected but the symptoms don't show up until the fruit ripens.
https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... o_Anth.htm
I’m fairly confident this was not the case with mine.

The exterior skin showed no signs of disease. It was only when cutting into the flesh you were able to see the black lines.

My tomatoes were a bit redder than the image in the original post, and my black lines were much darker as well.

Other than the weird lines, the tomatoes appeared very healthy.

imafan26
Mod

Do you have any over ripe tomatoes? Not just firm red ones, really ripe ones.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

That's the highly poisonous black threaded tomato worm.
You didn't eat it did you?
If you did you have to quickly drink 6 alcoholic beverages.

Seriously, I don't look at my food that closely and have no idea what it may be.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”