ronald1948
Newly Registered

Tomatoe skin

Why do the skins burst while still on the vine?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Not all tomatoes split. Some varieties are prone to splitting due to the fact that the cell walls surrounding each individual cell cannot withstand the water pressure either due to heating or to much water in the cells.

Some varieties are more prone to splitting than others, when selecting tomatoes to grow, asked the experienced nursery staff if the tomatoes are prone to splitting. Also, do not over water your tomatoes because this will increase the water pressure induced on the cells of the tomatoes due to increased water uptake.

You'll have to pardon me but the myriad of different tomatoe names is now escaping me so, I can't think of the varieties that are less prone to splitting....but, chosing smaller tomatoes is always a good bet.

pixelphoto

to simplify the above post LOL :)
it has to do with water
or lack of

You have to keep a consistent watering schedule otherwise tomatoes are prone to cracking.
heirloom seem to be the worst as they usually have thinner skins and are less tolerant of inconsistent watering.
the hybrids are usually tough skinned but not always.

ronald1948
Newly Registered

pixelphoto wrote:to simplify the above post LOL :)
it has to do with water
or lack of

You have to keep a consistent watering schedule otherwise tomatoes are prone to cracking.
heirloom seem to be the worst as they usually have thinner skins and are less tolerant of inconsistent watering.
the hybrids are usually tough skinned but not always.
:lol: :o

Inamon

pixelphoto wrote: You have to keep a consistent watering schedule otherwise tomatoes are prone to cracking.
To expound a little more. As the tomato grows with a regular water supply the skin and the interior cells grow at the same rate allowing the development of the perferfect globes we like. If the plant experiences a drought condition (this may be in a little as 1 day (big drinkers see)) and is then watered the interior cells expand and grow faster than the skin cells water uptake in the soft tissue is greater following drought conditions, to protect the next generation (seeds)). This creates the pressure Pixelphoto is talking about, creating the cracking we don't like. Are the tomato's bad to eat? No, they just look ugly.
But if we didn't like ugly things then Lady Inamon would never have dated me! :shock:

Inamon

opabinia51 wrote:You'll have to pardon me but the myriad of different tomatoe names is now escaping me so, I can't think of the varieties that are less prone to splitting....but, chosing smaller tomatoes is always a good bet.
Try Mountain Pride or Mountain Delight. I concur with the smaller varieties.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”