sungirl

Help needed with my tomato...

I have been given tomato (1), pepper (1), impatient (1), petunias (3), plants to arrange and plant on my balcony.

Is it okay to plant the tomato and flower plants together? From what I remember from my gardening days the tomato and pepper plants should be planted away from the flowers. It is a full sun deck.

Can someone tell what to do and how far to plant the flowers and vegetables apart if they shouldn't be together.

Also will any of these plants attract unwanted bugs? :(

I hope to buy some herbs also. Thanks for your advice.

Roger

I'm pretty sure that those plants will be fine near one another. I'm also pretty sure that they will draw a few insects, but not a plauge of locusts or anything like that. They sound as if they would look well together in a small garden.

sungirl

Thanks for the reassurance that they will be okay planted close together. If the weather is good I will plant this weekend! :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Actually, it's a great idea to plant colourful arrangements of flowers with large amounts of nectar around all vegetables as they will draw in a plethora of insects.

Most insects are not plant feeders but are actually beneficial insects that eat the insects that eat your plants.

So basically, YES! Plant as many flowers around your tomatoe plants as possible.

Also try Marigolds (which will attract aphids away from other plants), goldenrod (attract assasin bugs, lacewings and others), baby blue eyes, cosmos, hellebores, daylilies and so on.

sungirl

Thank you! :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome, in the organic section I used to have a sticky entitled Beneficial Insects with lists of the various beneficial insects and what plants to attract them, I used the search engine to try and find it last night but, couldn't find the thread.

sungirl

Thank-you again. But what is a sticky :?:

Roger

A 'sticky' is one of the permanent posts that remain at the top of the forum listings page.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Here is a link to the information on Beneficial insects:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335

sungirl

Thank-you Roger. I wasn't sure what a sticky was and actually was a bit afraid to open it -I can't remember what I thought would happen but I am glad I asked. :)

What a great link!

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335

Thank-you Opabinia :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Not a problem, you are more than welcome. I hope that you find good use with the information provided. :wink:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”