Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Tomato seedling leaves growing vertically

What would cause seedlings to start growing their leaves up instead of out? That is, they are getting a more vertical posture? Would insects do that? Or heat? They are about 5 to 8 inches tall, in pro-mix BX, in 4 inch pots because they will be sold next week. Fertilized with Texas vegetable Food at half strength every third watering. Its an organic liquid fert. The potting mix gets quite warm in our still 87degree weather, but they have enough water.

applestar
Mod

Are they getting enough su/light?

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Yes they are in full strong sun from 8 am to 6ish.

applestar
Mod

OK, how about are they sufficiently spaced apart sso the leaves can stretch out without touching or competing?

I'm trying to picture this -- hmm... I suppose if they are stressed, so I was thinking if they are overwatered, but could it be heat = roots too hot? I don't think drying out would do this though.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

I think it was the heat. I have been watering twice per day because they are getting big for the pots now, using a lot. I looked at them this morning and they have assumed normal posture. I think I will be moving them to partial shade. They are a bit crowded in some of the pots though, because some have 3 seedlings in one pot. I should have thinned them out, I think, but I let them be because some buyers may be delighted to get 3 little plants for the price of one. These are being grown for a fundraiser for my garden club, and all the proceeds will go back to our community in the form of scholarships, community garden for school children, and the produce will go to a food bank to feed the poor, funding a high school rocket program, etc.
I don't want to let them down. :|
Thank you apple for helping me to problem solve, much appreciated.

applestar
Mod

You are very welcome. Sounds like a wonderful project -- Good luck! :D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”