Jasmine
Newly Registered

tomato plants died.

Hi everyone!
I planted 6 tomato plants in growbags and one by one they sort of shrivelled and died - could it be due to all this heavy rain we have had?
My friend had a look and said it looked like a sort of fungus.
I have two plants in my plastic greenhouse that look so healthy.

tiggs&oscar

Hi Jasmine,

From the mention of rain they must have been outside. Is it possible a late frost has gotten to them?

My tomatoes are inside still on a windowsill but the green beans outside did the same thing as your tomatoes, with April being so lovely I put them out too early. Lesson learned!

TO

Jasmine
Newly Registered

Hi tiggsandoscar,
thanks for the reply.
Nope it definitely wasn't the frost. Although it has been very wet it has been warm!

Cate090404

I had a soil fungus problem too. My husband went psycho and dumped the soil in the yard and burned it, then transplanted the tomato in the yard to see if it would get better. It is the best looking plant we have now. He thinks he scared the fungus and it knew better than to come back and bother that tomato! :lol:

tiggs&oscar

Cate,

Do you think your husband could come to Scotland and scare my beans into survival mode?

TO :D

Jasmine
Newly Registered

Well I asked in the shop where I bought some new plants today and the lady said "you did put drainage holes in the growbags didn't you?"

Oops :( It has been very wet here in Norfolk. Silly me.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Jasmine, did you grow them in bags, in she soil?

For best results, just plant the tomatoe plants directly in the soil. The plants should have a free root system. Don't use any chemical fertilizers, use organic fertilizers like manure, compost, kelp meal, liquid seaweed fertilzer, liquid fish fertilizer and so on.

It's not to late to plant some more plants.

Use a cedar stake and tie the plants to the stakes with old nylons that are cut up. (They work way better than gardening tape or string (that cuts through the vines). ) If you have semi derminate or indeterminate plants use 6 foot high stakes.

tiggs&oscar

Jasmine, you blonde!!!

:D

TO

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”