erica
Newly Registered

Over-watered cherry tomato plants... Now what?

I left town for 3 weeks (family emergency) and left my husband in charge of things. He called after about 2 weeks asking what to do about the yellow, wilting leaves on the tomato plants. When I found out how much he was watering them each day I almost fell off my chair! I'm home now to take over... is there anything I can do to help them recover or do I just need to wait it out?
Erica

pixelphoto

I would pinch off some of the lower yellow leaves as there is no reason to keep them attached to the plant.
I would go back to your normal watering schedule immediately. Maybe feed them a bit of compost to help them out other than that I don't think there is much more you can do.
I definitely wouldn't starve them of water since hes over watered so I would go back to normal watering schedule.

erica
Newly Registered

Thanks pixel! I hope I can save them!
pixelphoto wrote:I would pinch off some of the lower yellow leaves as there is no reason to keep them attached to the plant.
I would go back to your normal watering schedule immediately. Maybe feed them a bit of compost to help them out other than that I don't think there is much more you can do.
I definitely wouldn't starve them of water since hes over watered so I would go back to normal watering schedule.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the only thing that I would add is to either give them a handful of kelp meal or a weekly watering with liquid fish fertilizer (the smelly stuff) as per the the dilution instructions on the bottle.

(though I just add a gulp to my 1 G watering can and then fill with cold water)

You could actually add both fertilizers and it would not harm the plants.

Soteria
Newly Registered

opabinia51 wrote:Yes, the only thing that I would add is to either give them a handful of kelp meal or a weekly watering with liquid fish fertilizer (the smelly stuff) as per the the dilution instructions on the bottle.

(though I just add a gulp to my 1 G watering can and then fill with cold water)

You could actually add both fertilizers and it would not harm the plants.
Do you think watering them with aquarium water once in awhile would work for 'fish fertilizer'???

pixelphoto

The "fish tank water" is good for your plants and will help them grow well.
A local agricultural college I take classes at on occasion does just that. They raise Tilapia in a rather large tank 500 gallons or so. Everyday 10% of the water is changed out that 10% they take out is used in a hydroponics section where they use it to grow plants such as herbs.

Soteria
Newly Registered

pixelphoto wrote:The "fish tank water" is good for your plants and will help them grow well.
A local agricultural college I take classes at on occasion does just that. They raise Tilapia in a rather large tank 500 gallons or so. Everyday 10% of the water is changed out that 10% they take out is used in a hydroponics section where they use it to grow plants such as herbs.
EXCELLENT!! I have two aquariums!!!

Richard_a
Newly Registered

Soteria wrote:
pixelphoto wrote:The "fish tank water" is good for your plants and will help them grow well.
EXCELLENT!! I have two aquariums!!!
Now that's what I call ECO- FRIENDLY!!!

using the tank's water to grow plants is wonderful.
Much better than just throwing it out...

I'm sure there are so many other small things we can do, and stuff which we can use and reuse in an eco-friendly kind of way!!!

nat777
Newly Registered

I have 6 cherry tomatoe plants and there starting to show some lil spots of light yellow and I think iv also over watered them, iv started watering them every day and today I think I should stop and see how the sun takes them tomoz. 2 of them don't have leaves now so..Ya I should stop watering them and wait till the soil is less damp.

Oooh the fish water is a lovely idea, iv got 3 fish ( wilson, clive and norbert) and my mum hates them but now iv got a lovely reason to keep them :D ( that will miff her off lol) but I have a few questions about the watering.

Ok my fish are getting cleaned out tomoz and I told my dad to keep then water in a water can, how long should I leave the water in there and how much should I give to each tomatoe plant ( bare in mind there only a few cm tall, got them from B&Q last week lol) ?

Is it ok for the water to look alil brown cause thats the colour of the water at the mo ( I don't have an fliter in the tank, its onlt a small tank, the tank is like one of those you put small lil lizards in)?

And how many times a week should u water your tomatoes?

Thanks for your help xxxx

doccat5
Green Thumb

Go easy with the water from the fish tank, because that's not just water it's fertilizer as well. You should be fine on the water in the can, I normally water my seedlings from the bottom. I add about 2 inches water to a pan and set the seedling flats in it and let them do their thing. I have a tendency to want to over water and that really helps me keep in control. You can put your finger in the soil to get an idea of how wet it is.

atascosa_tx
Cool Member

are these seedlings or plants that are already in the ground? if in the ground, back off...the plants will let you know when they need watering..if seedlings..
I wouldn't fertilize with the fish water...super high in nitrogen..plants at a seedling stage would do better with a higher P and K ratio...
to promote root growth..granted at a diluted ratio

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'm not needed in here, this is great! :wink:

And yes, I think aquarium water would be good for the plants provided that you don't add any potentially toxic chemicals to the water. You can just read the info on the packages of any additives to figure that out.

I'm so Jealous, I don't even start planting until May 1 at the earliest and you guys already have fruit on your plants. Oh well, we do what we can!

Happy gardening everyone.

Opabinia

nat777
Newly Registered

There baby plants ( if u make a C shape with ur thumb and finger thats how tall they all lol). 5 are planted in a grow bag for veg and one in there own lil pot. 1 or 2 have had there leafs been eatten by some pesky slugs but iv put pelits down so they should stay away lol xx

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”