casualcat
Newly Registered

Tomato stalk problems

Hello all,

This is my first year giving tomatoes a shot and it doesn't seem like it is going to be very productive. The plants receive sunlight for about half the day and a good amount of water. As you can see in the picture the top of the main stem is curved and the stalk and stems have some sort of growths on them. You may also notice that the end of one of the stems seems to be cracking. I planted two tomato plants(different varieties) and they both have this problem. Does anyone know what this is and what caused it. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks for the help!!!

[img]https://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x318/elcidtiger/IMG_1046.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x318/elcidtiger/IMG_1045.jpg[/img]

firefighter23

EWWWWWWW..... THAT LOOKS DISGUSTING!!! I would have to say (I'm new also, but have read up ALOT) that the plants are completly junk! It kind of looks like your stem has been infested with some kind of bug that laid eggs in your stem... thats just what it looks like? Also, with the bending of the stem- thats is completly natural if you do not stake them up. The top of the plant is probobly heavy and it is bending with the weight, A normal plant will grow against gravity, but with that grotesque infested stem it prolly is making it really really weak...

If you have a local nursery that sells tomato plants already heavily grown (I have stiens, they sell plants already 3-4-5 feet tall with tomatoes) I suggest buying one that is growing already and has flowers on it-but no tomatoes- and also buy a netting from the nursery, its like a screen but flexible, and drape it over the tomatoe plants to prevent the insects from infesting them!

Thats all I can say- remember I'm a newbie too!

~FF23~

Jess
Greener Thumb

It looks like herbicide damage to me. Has someone been spraying in your surrounding area?

LMcNair27

I think I have the same thing going on, although maybe in an earlier stage. I'll upload pictures tomorrow. Did your plant survive this?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”