mattie g
Green Thumb

Re: September tomato plants

Juliuskitty wrote:Mattie,
The dirty little secret with Brandywines is that they are poor producers. You can increase the amount of blossoms if you give them a fert that has a higher phosphorous number, this encourages blooming.
As far as the curly leaf virus, do you have whiteflies? They are the delivery system for Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus. If you do, yellow sticky traps worked fabulously well for me. I put them every 5 feet and the whiteflies were strongly attracted to the yellow color. First year I haven't had TYLCV, after getting it for 8 years.
I've done OK with Brandywines in the past, but this year was a different story. Funny enough...the plant in question has a *ton* of flowers on it now. But we only have 4-6 weeks of growing season left, so it's unlikely anything will ever come of them.

Not sure about whiteflies, but your advice is noted!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I thought it was leaf hoppers that spread curly top. I had this last year.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Yes, curly top virus is spread by the leafhopper. I was referring to TYLCV a different virus which is spread by whiteflies. I think Mattie thought it was curly top virus, so I confused the issue by bringing up TYLCV. My bad, sorry. :oops:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well my tomato plants still look pretty good, but with chilly nights and shorter days, production has slowed down. I may go ahead and pull them soon, just to plant other stuff there.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”