MaggieMD

Is there a liquid phosphorus intensive organic fert

I have rather leggy tomato plants (tall and not as bushy as in previous years). It was suggested that, now that they are blooming and I have some green tomatoes on them, I should use some fertilizer that has a lot of phosphorus in it.

It has to be liquid or water soluble because all of my vegetables were planted through landscaping fabric to keep out weeds, so I can't really side dress them without cutting back the fabric (allowing more weeds).

I'd like to stay organic. Any suggestions?

tiggs&oscar

OK, this may sound a wee bit mad!

I have a wood burning stove (clean wood only) and I use the ash for tomatoes, roses and the compost heap. I also use banana skins for tomatoes. Seems to work beautifully.

With regards to your planting arrangement could you sprinkle wood ash through the netting or soak a pile of old banana skins in water for a week and pour the solution on? Both ash and banana's are organic and rich in potash.

TO

JPIXI

Hello Maggie,

Not sure of the species of tomatoes that you are growing.Every species has their particular requirements to bear good tomatoes.

Basically tomatoes need high magnesium to preform.You can get a box of Espom Salt in supermarket and give 2 tsp around the plant. Keep the application 10cm away from the stem.

Amitié,
Pixi

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

There really isn't such a thing of any organic fertilizer that is quote unquote intensive.

Rock Phosphate is a mineral based fertilizer that is environmentally friendly and adds wonders to the soil. You'll have to look around for though, I did find that Buckerfields (in Canada sells it). I'm not sure if Buckerfields exists elsewhere in the world.

Not only will Rock Phosphate add Phosphate to the soil but, the grains of Rock Phosphate will also help to form soil aggregates with organic complexes in the soil therefore building up your soil structure which aids the plants by holding soil nutrients in the soil. Also, the aggregates form pockets in the soil where water and nutrients can be held. As well as various gases that plants can use.

Not to mention spaces for worms, ground beetles, mites, springtails and the rest of it to live.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”