lily51
Greener Thumb

whats the update on those late tomatoes?

At last! This morning my husband picked 5 ripe tomatoes! It doesn't sound like much (and it isn't ) but we thought there would be none that ripened this year the way things were going.
Mid-80's and lots of Sun 8) the last week have made the difference.
The Italian type fruits are beautiful, smooth, large (rain helped with this) and there are many more out in the garden. We'll see what happens.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Everything here is about three weeks later than "normal". Since planting was three weeks late, the tomatoes are ripening right on their proper schedule and there are tons of them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Man, I would be so disappointed if I never had a ripe tomato until Aug! I'm in zone 6 and have had ripe tomatoes since late June (yes a week or two later than I usually do). That is why I start them indoors in Feb.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes this is puzzling, when did you put them out. I too have had fruit for a long time, early June and before. But I start mine super early. Mine are actually on the way out, well the weaker ones.

Congrats on the fruit though. Hope there will be many more.

lily51
Greener Thumb

This has been par for the year for most gardeners around here. the spring was very cool, very wet, as was the whole summer except for one week. Really. Every day the clouds would roll in and the rain would start.
Most days this summer had a high in the upper60's, no sun, no heat.
So much rain our town flooded.
Fields turned into lakes several different times. Crops in low lying fields were lost by many.

Even though I start tomatoes in the greenhouse at various intervals, there were just a few "windows" of time to plant them when the temps were high enough and garden was dry enough so they weren't totally mudded in.

Farmer's market has very few home grown tomatoes yet. One regular grower lost his whole crop due to flooding.

So you can see why I'm excited now that they are ripening. :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to hear. and more power to you now since it has been so hard. It has been rough all over, but somehow we manage through. A big breeder I know posted a pic on Facebook of his tomato patch under a foot or better of water. He managed to pull through but it is hard to do. We have had a wet cool summer that recently turned into a hot dry yet humid summer and that is playing havoc on my plants. Still the garden is chugging along somehow.

Good luck

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”