imafan26
Mod

Tell me about Arkansas Traveler and German Johnson

Well, I finally got around to pulling out my old tomatoes and the weeds around them and putting in my new tomatoes. Arkansas Traveler and German Johnson

This is the first time I planted German Johnson but I have planted Arkansas Traveler before, but I don't remember if I got any fruit from them. I know Arkansas traveller is heat tolerant.

Can anybody tell me anything more about what to expect from them?
Do they have issues with nematodes? Fusarium?
Are they average or more prone to fungal diseases?
How do they taste, sweet, tangy, bland, seedy?

I live in Hawaii, where nematodes are rampant, the tomatoes are in pots so it will help. Humididty is high 80% most of the time, so if plants are particularly prone to fungus I will have to start a prophylactic spray program.
I like my tomatoes meaty and firm but not tangy.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Arkansas traveler was bread for southern gardens. Fairly recently (as far as resistances go). Pink slicer.

German Johnson is bigger pink, I'm less sure of its provinance.

I've grown both, & would grow them again.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have planted German Johnson a few times. It is a large leaf plant. The plants do not produce a large quantity of tomatoes. The flavor is ok but not as food as beefsteak type tomatoes in my opinion. I also like large quantities of tomatoes for Canning in Mason jars and German Johnson is not it.

For each his own. I like Beefsteak tomatoes and any beefsteak type tomato with the same GOOD beefsteak type flavor. That is just ME. You need to learn what you like best and grow them, the only way to know what you like BEST is plant several different tomatoes to see for yourself.

Be sure to put some pellet lime and fertilizer in each tomato plant hole and you will not have trouble with Bottom End Rot.

Birds will take care of most of the bugs. If you put up several bird houses that will help. I have 25 bird houses and I never spray for bugs.

During HOT weather put LOTS of water pans in the garden for the birds. They get thirsty and will peck holes in tomatoes to get a drink if they can not find water.

Sprinkle corn meal around NEW plants to prevent cut worms from eating your plants. Worms will eat the corn meal not the tomato plant.

Blight was a problem for about 5 years now it seen blight has died out and is not a problem this year. I have not heard any talk on the forum about blight this year yet. Blight runs in cycles it lasts 5 to 6 years then it is gone for 10 years. Spray plants with copper sulfate and lime dissolved in water to kill blight. You can also spray your plants with full strength vinegar wait about 5 minutes then wash plants clean by spraying them off with water from your garden hose.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”