rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: WHO WILL BE GROWING WINTER TOMATOES INSIDE THIS YEAR?

I agree: I don't do indoor tomatoes, but all my indoor house plants are kind of suffering at this point, just too long of staying in dry air and general poor conditions. It doesn't help that now that I have 14 trays of seedlings under lights and nine more going in and out and constant up potting and whatnot, I'm not paying as good attention to them. They've missed a lot of days of misting... I don't have as much trouble with the insects indoors, but there is something chewing the heck out of the angel trumpet leaves. I pulled two little green worm things (something like budworms) off it earlier in the season, but clearly there's still something eating it. I have looked and looked and can't find the darn thing.

and still too cold to take them out. Even all the cold weather seedlings are back in. :( It was cold and very windy yesterday, so they came back in. The forecast for today was 50 deg so I was planning to take them out. I was waiting and waiting for it to up to freezing. Sometime after noon, they revised the forecast downwards, saying high today 38 and revised the forecasted low tonight downward also. So they are staying in another day, which of course screws up the hardening. Sigh....

applestar
Mod

image.jpg
:()

applestar
Mod

rainbowgardener wrote:I agree: I don't do indoor tomatoes, but all my indoor house plants are kind of suffering at this point, just too long of staying in dry air and general poor conditions. It doesn't help that now that I have 14 trays of seedlings under lights and nine more going in and out and constant up potting and whatnot, I'm not paying as good attention to them. They've missed a lot of days of misting...
Don't you find that one day skipped seems OK, and maybe two days in a row, but if you skip another day, they start to seem unhappy? I don't know if I can quantify it -- they just "feel" stressed. :|

applestar
Mod

Finally ate that Jackass Yellow fruit last night. With such cool temps (upper 50's downstairs at night) the fruit lasted very well sitting on a folded paper towel, and in fact managed to even out in ripening a little, though one section was maybe a little bit softer than best. It has pale almost white flesh though outside skin becomes deep yellow.

It was -- "It's...GOOD! Actually DELICIOUS!" According to DD who got 2/3 of the fruit.
DH declined any in favor of DD so no review from him. My take on it was that it was full of flavor that I was missing desperately :lol: a little tangier and less sweet than the summer fruit for sure but the flavor sensation was full and satisfying. I wish the plant could have produced more. I would definitely recommend it for winter growing to those who have the room to grow, and definitely one to grow during the summer.

:arrow: Subject: 2014-15 Who's growing Winter Indoor Tomatoes this year?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”