memory94

this quick problem

hi there!

I think I'm having problems with my Tomato. Ive been reading allot lately about tomatoes and basic..now I'm off with chilies :)
20130728_144517.jpg
20130728_144517.jpg (32.57 KiB) Viewed 833 times
as you can see the foliage's are turning light yellow similar to all my plants. I water them when necessary. The weather keeps changing (the heat is high in daylight and in nightlight temperature drop) I'm planting these in southern California.

can it be the Nitrogen in the soil?
what type of pest control can I use? Ive heard B.T. is useful,but any brand?
is there any nutrients I can use or make at home?
how to control heat?

overall I just want to know how can I make the leaves healthier again and blossom not to fall :)

sorry for any inconvenience

imafan26
Mod

I see spots that could be fungal. If this is happening mostly on the lower leaves then just take the lower leaves off the plant. A lot of that is caused by water splashing up from the soil. Nitrogen would show up in the lower leaves first but I doubt that is the problem. Nitrogen would not have spots and the yellowing is more generalized. Fungal problems show up with high humidity and also when water splashes on the leaves and they don't have time to dry. Mulching helps with splashing, so does running your hose at a lower pressure and closer to the pot. Even a watering tube would help but that would need to be installed next to the plant when it was first put in.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

can it be the Nitrogen in the soil?
what type of pest control can I use? Ive heard B.T. is useful,but any brand?
is there any nutrients I can use or make at home?
how to control heat?

What type of pest control to use depends on what kind of pest you have. It is not useful to spray anything preventatively. Just keep an eye out for any pest damage and pests and let us know if you have a problem. BT is useful for worm/ caterpillar / mosquito larvae type pests, but nothing else. And even when using organic solutions, you never want to spray your whole garden with anything, just deal with the pest where it is.

Yes, the best nutrient for your soil is home made compost. If you are not familiar with it, browse our Compost Forum. It takes awhile to compost stuff, so it won't do you any good right now. But if you start your compost pile now, you will have lots of nice rich compost for spring planting time next year.

"How to control heat" ?? :? Don't think anyone has figured that out and I'm not sure I'm understanding your question.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”