applestar
Mod

PRODUCTIVE/heavy fruit bearing Tomato Varieties

OK, one of my criteria for the Winter Indoor Trial candidates was good production to overcome/makeup for the less than ideal light and warmth. I made note of the earlier varieties that matured and were pumping out fruits by mid-July.

In this thread, I'd like to discuss ALL the productive varieties including later maturing varieties and large indeterminate vines.

However, I feel that no matter how many fruits it produces, if it's a dud flavorwise, it's not worth mentioning -- don't you agree? But if it's not too bad/better than grocery store imitations and has other worthwhile qualities like setting fruits in heat, disease resistance, etc. Let's hear about it. :D

I don't grow hybrids so I don't know of any, so if you have particularly productive and otherwise worth mentioning varieties to share about, please do.

Go ahead and start. I'll come back and post later after I look over my own notes.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

OK, you asked for it:
I include very large size and medium or smaller size, but no salads or cherries since I don't consider them "real" tomatoes. These figures are for the one best plant when I may have grown two or three.
2012: large size--Tsar Kolokol and Italian Sweet both 50+ pounds per plant
small----Russian Rose---238 fruits

2011: Aunt Lou's Underground Railroad---35lbs
KBX---27 lbs

2010: Dixie Golden Giant---37 lbs
small fruit--Black form Tula--79 tomatoes

20009: Mexican Yellow---52 lbs
Russian Rose----50 lbs smaller size fruit
India---127 fruits for 24 lbs

2008: Butter and Bull's Heart---40 lbs
Kosovo----39 lbs
Nicky Crain---39 lbs
Carbon---60 tomatoes for 34 lbs
Brad's Black Heart----67 fruits for 34 lbs

2007: Marianna's Peace 52 tomatoes for 31 lbs
Brandywine (Sudduth Strain)--49 tomatoes for 35 lbs
KBX---47 fruits for 29 lbs
Kellogg's Breakfast----44 tomatoes for 29 lbs

Any farther back than that and I will have to dig into the archives. All of the above have excellent flavor. In my yearly ratings all are at least 4 out of 5 and most rate a solid 5. Remember all these were grown in my Nebraska garden which is still in the early days of getting it into shape. The ten years before that my gardens were in south central Iowa where the soil is much better for growing tomatoes than the Loess Hills of the Missouri River bluffs. I hope this is what you were looking for.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”