Inamon

Slow grown tomatoes

Last night one of my staff mentioned slow grown tomatoes as being sweeter with increased levels of lycopane? (the good chemical in tomatoes) Unfortunately they didn't have any further information to give, such as how one slow grows a tomato.

Has anyone else heard of this phenomenom? Would it be achieved by limiting their sun?

Geek

I have never heard of it but that doesnt mean it isn't true.

pixelphoto

I did a search for slow grow tomatoes and couldn't find anything about them.
I haven't heard of them either but like the last poster said doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I have heard of slow food which is growing your own food instead of going to a restaurant or fast food place.
I do know there are some new orange tomatoes hybrid that are higher in lycopene.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Inamon,

Perhaps this is an allusion to vine ripened tomatoes as opposed to commercially produced ones that are picked early and artificially "ripened" with a shot if some gas, ethylene I believe.

Norm

Inamon

Gnome wrote: Perhaps this is an allusion to vine ripened tomatoes as opposed to commercially produced ones that are picked early and artificially "ripened" with a shot if some gas, ethylene I believe.
Nope, this was definately a discussion about slower growing of the tomato on the plant that allowed it to ripen later thereby having the tomato plants produce more sugar in the fruit because it took longer to ripen. Like pixelphoto I did a search online and found nothing, other than slow grown tumors in tomatoes, that could give me a further clue. I'm wondering if I shouldn't send this to "Mythbusters" on the discovery channel.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”