applestar
Mod

Tomato Nutrition -- Whole Foods article... please evaluate

While looking for nutrition data on tomato skin, which I usually discard, I came across this Whole Foods article.

There may be marketing hype so it would be great if folks with better knowledge and understanding of the scientific and technical could read it over and see if everything can be swallowed whole or some sections need a few grains of salt. :wink:

https://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=44

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

I put up (freeze) 5 - 10 gallons of tomatoes out of the garden every year. they get washed, quartered, hard core bits cut out, cooked down to 'stewed tomato' consistency and into the freezer. never peel / seed them.

the skin(s) are in the batch and get eaten. typically on thaw / use I hit the pot with the stick blender - guess that chops up the skins to the point we don't notice.

the article espouses the current "party line" - no surprises I see. but I am also of the opinion the collective "we" don't really know/understand the precise role of "all them there nutrients" - so hyperbole touting X or Y or Z I tend to ignore. seems like what was good last year is bad this year and next year it's good, again.....

since the south american cavemen likely didn't peel their tomatoes, nor do I (g)

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Fairly well rounded article without the errors most tomato reports have when no real research is done. This one does not just regurgitate old hackneyed information from universities receiving funds from hybrid seed companies. Well worth while read.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Whether I peel a tomato or not has everything to do with the ultimate fate of the tomato and absolutely nothing to do with the nutritional value, whether hypothetical or proven, of the peel.

Slicing for a sandwich? ==> Don't bother; leave the peel on.
Making tomato sauce/soup? ==> Get that thing outta there! (by blanching; very easy, very fast, multiple tomatoes at once)
Eating raw? ==> Well, since the biggest tomatoes we can grow here in our heat-deprived microclimate are 1 inch in diameter, I just pop the entire tomato into my mouth. Peel? What peel? :)

Re. the Whole Foods article, I'd feel better about the assertions/statements in it if they were tied to the References explicitly. A list of "References" at the end of an article doesn't give the reader much information about which statements came from or may have come from which articles in the References. Unimpressed here.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”