Smallgardener

Tomato progress

This year I planted 2 tomatoes on the east side of my little garden shed. Mainly because I ran out of room but also I thought it would help them when the heat hits. Let me tell you. They look great and the cherry tomato has set on all kinds of maters. but these Burpee cherries are about just over 1" diameter. The other plant is a Rutgers and has set on but it fruits are no bigger than the cherries so far. The rest of my maters are in the garden and get full sun until about 7 pm. The plant health is good with some leaf curl but they are just now starting to set blooms in the 100 + degree weather. I have misters set up to cool them off but I don't think it is enough. These plants are probably 40" tall.

The maters in the garden area are
Mortgage lifter
Black Krim
Burpee early
Brandy wine.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds good, but honestly it just sounds like you didn't start your tomatoes early enough, if they are just now blooming and you have temps over 100. In weather like that, they have a really hard time setting fruit or ripening fruit that is set. The ones with the afternoon shade may well do better. If you keep them well watered, once the weather breaks (in Sept?) they will probably start fruiting again. But it looks like you are in zone 6 with me. My average first frost date is mid-Oct. If yours is similar, getting your first ripe tomatoes in Sept doesn't give you much of a tomato season.

I start my tomato seeds indoors under lights in mid to late Feb. By the time I plant them in the garden in mid to late April, they are already blooming. So I have ripe tomatoes in June. And my summer isn't as hot, so my tomatoes usually keep producing all the way through until frost.

Smallgardener

Rainbow, you live in the corn belt. I think you could make anything grow there. :wink:
This spring here was just as messed up as the last. But this year it was cold and dry. Last year was hot and dry. Temps here were in the 50's and 60's for high through may and temps hovering around freezing at night.
The corn here did not get into the ground till may since April was too cold. Last year I could of planted my garden in march and not have been froze out. I normally get the maters in the ground earlier and get some early fruit in June but then nothing till late August and the freeze kills the plants in late September loaded up with green maters. We have had winds all summer that are 20 to 40 mph with the 100+ degree weather.
The trees have really taken a beaten and there are a lot of dead mature trees from the ongoing drought the is in the third summer here. There is absolutely no subsoil moisture.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... very challenging climate! :shock:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”