pilot921
Newly Registered

tomato plant curling leaves

I am a first time grower and have no idea about anything yet.

My wife and I are lucky enough to have black dirt in our yard, so we just dug that up to a depth of about 6-8 inches and sifted all that soil using a 1/4 inch mesh to achieve a clean loose soil that roots can travel through easy.

We then poured one inch of compost manure over the top and mixed into the soil. I water miracle grow once a week around the roots and sprayed the leaves this last time with it.

Are these curling leaves a concern and what is the reason?

Also should I cut the lower branches that touch the dirt?

I will include a picture.

Planted about one month ago.
Attachments
IMG_20130708_200832.jpg
IMG_20130708_200832.jpg (55.42 KiB) Viewed 1333 times

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

is it hot there? that could just be leaf curl to protect the plant from desiccation. if you need to water I suggest in the morning and try to avoid getting the leafs wet. avoiding getting the foliage wet will help stave off some of the fungal diseases that can plague plants.

You may also want to feed the plant regularly with a liquid organic fertilizer.

imafan26
Mod

Leaf roll is a physiological response to drought. Tomatoes are heavy feeders and drinkers. When in fruit production they can drink up to 4 gallons of water a day. It is not uncommon for plants to wilt in the heat of the day and perk up later. Leaf roll does not alter the plants ability to make fruit but it is telling you something.

You did say you had black dirt and you added composted manure.

You should add in as much compost as you can as well. 4 inches of compost every year is a good start. Compost will help keep the soil loose but also will help to retain water.

For now, maybe water more deeply more often. The soil should be damp at least 4 inches down. Water again when the soil is almost dry. Use compost or mulch at the top of the soil around the tomato plants. Mulch will help to conserve water as well.

If you live in an area with excessive heat >90 degrees in summer, it is better to plant a heat resistant tomato. Most tomatoes will stop producing in 100+ degree weather. Shading can also help to keep plants cool in very hot places.

pilot921
Newly Registered

Should I cut off the lower branches that touch the ground leaving a couple inches of open air at the bottom of the plant?

Cola82
Green Thumb

Yes--I cut off all of the branches that might touch the ground. The plant really seems to benefit from the circulation.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Ill have to run out to my garden tonight lol

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”