firefighter23

Determinate Tomato, Husky cherry- broken main stem.

I am so upset!! the main stem of my upside down tomato plant was broke off!!

I know with an indermiediate breed a different branch will take course as the main stem- will this happen with a dermiediate variety? I am quite upset, it has blooms all up and down the plant and now only one bloom and the rest are on the part that broke off.

I did put the broken piece in water to re-root it and re-plant it, but this takes time.

I just need to know if a different stem will take course as the main stem? please help!

**LOST FF23**

Inamon

In my experience (limited) tomatoes are a very resilient plant with a huge capacity for mending. My suggestion would be to take the broken part and reconnect it to the origional split. From here use a couple of bamboo skewers to act as splints and tie to two ends together. Make sure you use a soft fabric so that it doesn't cut into the already damaged stem. An old or new pair of tights will work a treat. (I am currently using an old T-shirt as the donor.) The benefits of using tights are that the allow breathing, sunlight to work its magic whilst still providing a good solid yet expandable foundation from which to work. I would heartily recommend tieing both parts of the split to the splint (obviously) but also use some of the nylon to act as duct tape around the affected joint. This will provide valuable added strength to thejoin whilst it heals.
This may not work but it is better than waiting for rooting as the buds and fruit set may be lost.

firefighter23

Thank you very much, I will try that tomorrow then, I didnt think that you could do that if the stem was completly detatched...? but yup I will do that tomorrow after the storms pass(70 mph winds, 3 1/2 inch hail!!)

~FF23~

Inamon

I'm not sure that it will work but we have just experienced a similar phenomenom with storms, broken and cracked stems (albeit, the ina part of inamon broke our stem off when it was still hanging. I still have to get her to understand that I would really like consultation before she kills our plants.)
I am waiting to see if it works and holds but the essence is true. Tomatoes are very resilitent and like humans with proper surgery and a loving touch can grow without much of a disfigurement. Having said that, even if the plant looks like the hunch back of Notre Dame if it works it works!

firefighter23

I totally agree, and you know what? I just went outside and did it now... it'll be a few days to tell if its surviving or if it will die(ie wilting...)
thanks, it was dificult though cause it was hanging upside down and the stem was quite curved, but I think its pretty close and bound tight enough.. thanks again!!
~~FF23~~

Inamon

We both have the same issue with the upside down plants then. Yes they are hard to get back together when broken but it may be worth while. In the mean time if you find some of your plants are not getting the sun they deserve?, try staking them. Seriously. Push a cane into the ground on an angle and take the gently sloping vine and tie it off. The next day shift the tie point further down (slowly increasing the straightness of the plant until they are at a point where upward growth would ensure full sunlight. Worked wonders on our bloody butcher and mountain gold.

Trishla

Inamon wrote:In my experience (limited) tomatoes are a very resilient plant with a huge capacity for mending. My suggestion would be to take the broken part and reconnect it to the origional split. From here use a couple of bamboo skewers to act as splints and tie to two ends together. Make sure you use a soft fabric so that it doesn't cut into the already damaged stem. An old or new pair of tights will work a treat. (I am currently using an old T-shirt as the donor.) The benefits of using tights are that the allow breathing, sunlight to work its magic whilst still providing a good solid yet expandable foundation from which to work. I would heartily recommend tieing both parts of the split to the splint (obviously) but also use some of the nylon to act as duct tape around the affected joint. This will provide valuable added strength to thejoin whilst it heals.
This may not work but it is better than waiting for rooting as the buds and fruit set may be lost.
Hi,
this is the second branch of the same tomato plant snapping off in one week. even after I caged it with bamboo sticks.
Please can anyone tell me that will this help or I am re-rooting the plant in water, thats better?
There are tiny buds growin on them :(

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”