JayPoc
Greener Thumb

uggh....wind damage...

So all of my maters are very well staked and caged. All except 2 dwarfs, that is. These plants are so robust and stocky and symmetrical that I really didn't think they needed any support. At least not now, anyway. Plus, they're in a sheltered bed where a couple of low walls block the wind. They are in very light rich soil though. Anyway, we've been in a pattern of gusty winds and daily storms all week and it caused them no problems. Today, I come home and they're laid over. There's definitely some root damage...hopefully only superficial. I ran a long sturdy stake straight down beside each central stem and used these neat little velcro like strips to secure the plants to the stakes, and then watered them well. I suspect the plants will be fine. Anything else I can do to support them while they recover?

I think the lesson here is "when in doubt, and even when not in doubt, go ahead and support your plants"...

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Agreed... It blows hard all spring where I live so I really have to protect my mators all spring... good luck hope yours come out of it...

applestar
Mod

Yeah, they get top heavy when laden with fruits as well -- all of a sudden, those "sturdy" branches seem not at all capable of supporting anything.

It may help to hill the base of the plants with additional soil.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

They will be fine. Just prop them up and as Apple said add a little good soil at the root zone to add stability and give it some more root structure.

I have had many blow over or limbs break. I just tie them up so the break is closed. I do not tape it the plant does all the work. Mother nature does some amazing things.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Over the years I have had my share of tomatoes, peppers, corn, even squash to blow over. Now I try to make sure the tomato cages have at least some support. Also, since I have such a little bit of corn, I have ropes at a couple different heights to give the corn rows a little support. Working so far, but I saw one tomato cage almost on the ground yesterday.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

yeah...they don't seem any worse for the wear...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”