firefighter23

VERY URGENT!!! Storms coming; What should I do-If Anything?

I live in south-eastern wisconsin and There are going to be very serious storms coming through tonight, and mostly tommorrow. The wheather is pretty much going to be up to possible tornados...

The temps lately have been 70ish but tomorrow its supposed to get to 95 then drop back to 70 by friday.

I'm not sure what to do,

should I cover my plants with a tarp?
Shoud I cover the perimeter of the garden with solid wood/tables to block the wind?
Should I do nothing and pray?

I also have around 8-10 pots around my yard with tomato plants (including 2 upside down tomato pots), watermelon, and strawberries... will these be fine if I just move them close to our house; or in the garage?

Obviously my main worry is my garden. I need help IMMEDIATLEY! This is an urgent matter, It is 1:35 pm here, and storms will start around 7:00 pm or so.. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

~FF23~

Grey
Greener Thumb

Stake your tomatoes very well, you can cover them if you expect hail or violent wind (some people cover their tomatoes if they expect any rain to prevent certain diseases from the soil spreading up into the leaves). I'd bring what you can into the garage.

Mostly, before a storm, all you can do is stake things as well as you can, and clean up when it's all over.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Oh dear. I really feel for you. Hope it is not too strong. Probably a bit late in the day to get some but shelter netting would help. I don't think covering with tarp would work or wood as they will probably get blown onto the plants and do more damage than the wind. Anything with holes that will filter the wind rather than trying to stop it would be best.

Good luck! :shock:

firefighter23

This is what I have done for tonight and the next day:
It looks kinda trailer trashy, but hopefully it'll help

[img]https://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m77/firefighter4-23/Plants-June6thwoodenwindblock006.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m77/firefighter4-23/Plants-June6thwoodenwindblock004.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m77/firefighter4-23/Plants-June6thwoodenwindblock005.jpg[/img]

I Pounded stakes into the ground and then screwed in the wood fencing and particle board to the stakes so it is quite sturdy.

The wheather isnt calling for much hail(there is a chance) But more wind, right now 13.7 mph so I'm not worried right now...

How fast of winds should I be worried for my teenage tomatoes?

I am a first year grower so any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks ahead of time!!

~FF23~

Cate090404

I accidentally left my tomato pots outside the other day when it hailed here. It didn't do a lot of damage, but the hail wasn't that bad. It hails a lot in TX. I think I'm going to transplant mine into the yard because they're not doing so hot in the pots. Some of that may be because they got far too much water. It has been raining insanely here. Your tomato fortress should work to at least keep high winds down :D .

firefighter23

Update:
The storm is majorly hitting right now!! winds 60-70 mph with hail 3 1/2'' reported just 3 miles down the road!!

Nothing left to do but to wait I suppose!! I already lost one plant, my upside down husky cherry tomato determidiate lost its main stem, about 5 inches... the plant was only about 10 inches tall, so idk if that will be ok or not, I am rooting the part that broke but I'm still wondering what will happen to the part thats still in the soil? will another branch take charge as the main stem??

Thanks

Jess
Greener Thumb

Whats happening now? Did your barricade work? Are you still in one piece? Are the tomatoes still in one piece?

firefighter23

THE BARACADE WAS SUCCESSFUL!! And as a plus, Everything grew like another 3 inches!!! Plus, All of the blooms are opened and I found one plant to have 4 FRIUT!!!

Staking them up, then putting wood around the fence (with some gaps) allowed all of my plants to be safe!!

This whole ordeal was nerve wrecking, seeing how this is my first year growing and I just had my tonsils removed...

Then, the storm was like the hottest thing to happen in wisconsin scince cheese...

But all ends well and I think I just need to do what everyone tells me too do... "LET NATURE TAKE IT'S COURSE"

Jess
Greener Thumb

Nice to know you and tomatoes are alright even if you have a sore throat. Good excuse to eat lots of icecream. :D

firefighter23

uhhhh, no more ice cream =D I Just want some real food, a big steak, or a sub sandwich =)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”