Inamon

Lets get serious, cutting of branches below the fruit line.

So I've been through alot of the posts here regarding tomatoes and in particular the cutting of the branches below the fruit line.
I have a mixture of determinate and indeterminate plants (indeterminate keep growing all season long?) and have diligently been suckering (picking there of) the indeterminates so we have crown development but leaving the determinates so we have fruit set.
Now I am at the stage where I have begun to snip the lower branches but I'm not getting to virulent with this as I am worried that they will loose valuable photosynthesis ability.
What is the accepted practice for (in)determinate plants vis-a-vis the removal of the lower leaves.
We have fruit set on all the plants with continued growth at the crown on all the plants.
Should I remove to the fruit line?
Should I remove 3/4. Advice or a general discussion would be appreciated as this is our first serious growing season (diary et al).

Inamon

This isn't bump per se, but, I am interested inhearing everyones thoughts regarding cutting of the lower leaf stem on tomatoes vis a vis fruit set. I have some determinates that are determined to get bushy and some indeterminates that are growing tall (via the upside down). I would like to maximize fruit set as I am also a restaurantuer and whilst we are not going commercial if I can use garden fresh then it is better for my guests.
I have already cut a number of the lower branches on both types of plants but I am thinking of continued lower leaf stem pruning but only if it seems wise as I wouldn't want to over prune and damage my plants.

firefighter23

DO NOT CUT ANY DETERMEDIATE... I know that much, I was told that you will only loose fruit...

But I am wondering the same thing on the indetermidiates, as I have blooms, but not tomatos yet!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”