bdh16
Newly Registered

heirloom tomatoes - virus or bugs?

Three of my heirloom tomato plants have some sort of a problem. Two Cherokee Purples and a Yellow Brandywine in the middle. I noticed some brown specs on the leaves concentrated on the top of the plants and two suckers that I let grow that almost looked like dirt. the problem has been getting worse as there are now lots of small holes in the leaves, the effected leaves are shriveling, and the plants have really stopped showing growing progress. One of the CPs has fruit and I also noticed a black discoloration circle on one of them, though I have never grown them before so I am not sure if that is normal. I have 11 plants in a row and these three neighbors are the only ones with symptoms... Pictures attached. Any help would be much appreciated!!!! thx
Attachments
photo1.JPG
photo1.JPG (48.44 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (53.27 KiB) Viewed 1085 times

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Almost looks like herbicide overspray. Some here feel that sevin will cause leaf burn. Most viral disease will begin at the bottom of the plant and work its way up. Curly top is different and starts at the top and goes down. Wish I knew more about all the different diseases.

bdh16
Newly Registered

I fed the plants once with miracle grow a few days after transplanting but other than that I haven't given them anything. Haven't sprayed them or anything else in the garden this year. I'm in southern ct and we have had tons of rain. Can't think of anything else...

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Thrips? Mites? This damage looks very much like that of the fuchsia gall mite, so I'm minded to look for tiny insects.

I recommend cutting off the damaged area ASAP and sterilizing your cutters after each cut. A cotton ball with rubbing alcohol on it will work. Dispose of the affected leaves in a plastic bag in the trash--do *not* compost. Do not touch any other parts of these plants until after washing your hands, in case you've contacted any insect eggs.

Perhaps other, more experienced tomato growers will have specific recommendations to help prevent the spread/return of whatever insects are chewing on your plant(s).

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”