DownriverGardener

Amish Paste plants growing noticably slower?

I have three Amish Paste plants for the first time this year. I planted them at the same time that I planted some Beefsteak, Super Sweet 100's, and Yellow Pears. Out of the group, the Amish Paste seem to be a lot smaller then the others, and have lengthy, less "sturdy" branches. They ALWAYS look droopy, as my other varieties perk.

I'm really not that worried since there are no signs of any other issues, but I'm just wondering if anyone else here has grown them and noticed the same thing. My watering/fertilizing/other care schedule is the same as the other plants, for what it's worth.

Thanks fellow gardeners!

applestar
Mod

Some paste type tomatoes have what's called "wispy leaf" They are more slender and delicate looking, tending to droop and looking like they might give up, especialy next to vigorous monster varieties. My Opalka, Orange Banana and Anna Banana Russian are like that as is Wes, and my Orange Icicle was overwhelmed by neighboring hunky potato leafed seedlings. I think I lost the only decent seedling but am nursing two more tiny ones in case they survive.

vinyl217

I grow Amish Paste every year and yes, they are not the most vigorous plants. But give them some time and they've always reliably put out good yields of large oxheart shape meaty maters for me. They're the smallest in my garden as well right now.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

no!

imafan26
Mod

I've also grown Amish paste before. It is not a very big plant compared to other tomatoes. I actually like them and use them as slicers. They are easier to grow and the birds don't bother small tomatoes as much as they do the big tomatoes.

mattie g
Green Thumb

vinyl217 wrote:I grow Amish Paste every year and yes, they are not the most vigorous plants. But give them some time and they've always reliably put out good yields of large oxheart shape meaty maters for me. They're the smallest in my garden as well right now.
Interesting. This is my first year with an Amish Paste (one plant), and it's probably my third-most vigorous plant of my 11 tomatoes (behind my two San Marzanos). I have one small fruit on it now, butthere are two other trusses flowering in addition to a couple flowers on that first truss that look to be ready to go to fruit.

I'm really interested in the Amish Pastes. Never grew an oxheart before, so it's pretty exciting. I hope we get a good yield!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”