spudrouge420
Newly Registered

tomato leaves turning brown

Does anyone know what causes this? Only upper leaves seem to be affected. I sprayed with fugicide let dry for an hour then sprayed with insecticide after fungicide was dry. also sprayed other tomato plants but only this one showing symptoms.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

Well, I know some types of tomatoes are more susceptible to certain problems than others, so my first question would be, are all your tomatoes the same type, or are they different? It could be that the chemicals you sprayed them with, burnt it, but it seems they would all be affected. Is that plant smaller or younger than the others? Also, did that one have new growth where the others didn't? New growth is more sensitive to chemicals than older growth.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We had a whole discussion about that recently, here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 49#p303749

Someone else wrote in that his/her tomato plants were all burned/discolored, looking like they were dying from the top, the upper leaves.

In that case the OP had also just recently sprayed with an insecticide (Sevin) and a fungicide. I really think (though there are some differences of opinion) that it was the Sevin that burned those plants.

I didn't say anything about it to you sooner, because it did seem odd, that you sprayed all the tomato plants and only one was affected. But Ramona is right, there could be lots of variables. Perhaps the affected one had more tender new growth, that burns easier. Perhaps it got hit harder with the spray -- I think the upper leaves are getting affected most in these cases because that's where the spray falls the most. Or it was more in sun when it was sprayed, etc.

spudrouge420
Newly Registered

This plant is an heirloom. The others are not. They all had new growth and seemed to wilt for a day after the spray but this one just seemed to get worse.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

Hybrid plants are developed to be more resistant to such things. Heirlooms are more like the original tomato plants before the specific cross pollinating, so they can be more sensitive. I still prefer heirloom tomatoes myself. I personally think it's reacting to the sprays you used. What I would do, is pick off the dead and burnt leaves, and continue with regular care for the plant. Also, you might switch sprays for something that says it's safe for new growth if you find the need to spray them again. I hope the plant bounces back!

imafan26
Mod

Since this is an heirloom it could be bacterial canker. It looks like the picture in the link below. Heirlooms may not have as much disease resistance as other tomatoes.

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vege ... al-canker/

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”