Gardener123
Green Thumb

It is June 8th 2013... how is your garden today?

I started most of my plants from seeds.... and then we had a very cool spring, and my seeds were planted way too early... Live and learn. By the time I could plant them, many of the plants didn't look all that healthy, but as of today, I must say, most of them look AWESOME. In fact, I picked 3 ripe yellow cherry sized tomatoes today..... Man, they were SO TASTY.

How is your garden doing?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Last night we had fried squash, green tomatoes and rattlesnake green beans. Good!

Tomatoes and corn are still a few weeks from ripe but looking good.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'm having bug problems with my larger tomatoes, but the cherry tomatoes are doing just fine. Yard Long beans are plentiful, as are cucumbers and all 5 hot pepper varieties are growing and producing like mad. I also have about 50 okra plants that are just starting to produce and I expect I'll be eyeball deep in okra in another month or so.

I picked my elephant garlic a few weeks ago and it is still drying since the bulbs were so large, but I'm still waiting on the smaller Red Chesnok garlic to head so I can pull it. Onions are making bulbs and the tops are great for use in cooking as they mature. Unfortunately, my Swiss Chard is not doing well between the bugs and heat and I'm considering pulling it till near fall.

The herbs are all doing fine with the exception of my parsley, but that is the norm as the temperatures rise. I do find myself picking flower stalks off the Sweet Basil at least 2 times a week as it is trying to go to seed. And I've finally got my mint under control in a large planter after being in the ground for a couple years and spreading like crazy. It was a job staying ahead of it so it doesn't take over the area it was planted in.

My fig tree is loaded with little green figs and should be ripening in a few more weeks. Looks like another good year if I can beat the birds to them every morning.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

My flowers are doing great. Have pics of them in other threads. I grew herbs from seeds, and those are doing good too! The basil, marjoram and oregano are almost at a size where I can pick some. The sage and thyme are slow starters, but they are still plugging along, and have new growth. I figure if they keep going they'll get to a pick-able size eventually. My zucchini plants are full and with blooms, so is my pickling cucumber. My persian cucumbers are still barely more than sprouts, and so are my watermelon plants, but we'll see if they get there with our late growing season. 8)

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

https://youtu.be/4mB30YGw1JY

its a week later but I figured id share :D

my tomatoes make an appearance in this video. I want to do a video on just them in a few weeks when there is more fruit on them.

Let me know what you think

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Well, now it is June 10th.....

Tomatoes are hit and miss....

Ultra Hot peppers look awesome, but no fruits

Medium and Hot Peppers are doing pretty well.

Cukes, Watermelon, and Beans are doing very well.

Herbs are kicking butt, but may soon suffer from being to close to the tomato plants.... not enough sun might become an issue.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I'm considering drying and making homemade bbq rubs for gifts for Christmas this year with my extra herbs after a do a good trimming. I finally harvested some tomatoes from my Big Boy plant, and I have one getting there on my Black Prince tomato. Seems like the tomatoes have been sitting there green forever! I also finally got some cucumbers growing after I had to hand pollinate. Darn lazy bugs! Making me work! :x lol And I already have been getting zucchini :) Watermelon and Persian cucumbers are still growing, but not fruiting yet.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I lost two of my full sized tomatoes due to EBR... I was sad. but the rest are looking much better!

I have had great luck and my sucker transplant a seedling transplant and a volunteer have shown up!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”