Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Tomato flowers, what do they mean?

The tomato plant I've been growing has begun bearing fruit, that's what I thought until instead of tiny tiny green spherical fruit it has opened a yellow flower. My question is, what does that yellow flower mean? Does it mean that the plant is ready to produce and bear fruit, is a fruit going to grow over the flower? I just don't know. Oh and, have a picture:
(click on the picture to enlarge in a new tab)

applestar
Mod

Fruit bearing plants flower first. The flowers contain the pollen/sperm and ovaries, and when successfully pollinated, a fruit will develop from the base of the flower. So yes! Your tomato is getting ready to bear fruit. :D

Around mid morning after dew has dried, if you were to tap the arching stem of the flower with your fingertip, you may see a puff of pollen come out of the pointed anther cone of the flower. Some people encourage pollination by touching the arched stem with electric toothbrush, which simulates the buzzing vibration of bees.

Tomato flowers are designed to catch the flower's own pollen to set fruit, though sometimes bees and other insects will carry pollen from bloom to bloom. The flowers being jostled by wind is often sufficient, though.

Keep up the good care of your plants. Once they start to fruit, tomato plants need more water.
Enjoy! :wink:

Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Oh, that's nice, thank you! :)

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

The good news is that there was a website showing the daily progression of a "tomato truss," which is the proper name for that cluster of flowers. It was called "Timeline of a Tomato Truss," and it was awesome. There were many references to it in this forum.

The bad news is that the site went down awhile ago.

The good news is that the Wayback Machine has saved a cache of that site.

The bad new is the toppings contain potassium benzoate.

The good news is that I've also saved a copy (with full res photos) on my HDD in case the Wayback cache ever goes away.

jemsister

Wow, that tomato truss timeline was really cool! Thanks for posting!

Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Managed to take this shot, seems like this one is waiting for a feeder to start the process:

applestar
Mod

Yep, once the petals fold back the pollen will drop/puff out when the flower is jostled.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”