jemsister

Big branch at tomato base. Should I prune?

As I understand it, there are different schools of thought on pruning suckers. But what about the idea of pruning the bottom branches? I have a bottom branch that is very big and spreads out pretty far. It is pictured on the left, and I'm not sure if you can tell, but it basically originates at the base of the main stem. Because of its location, should I prune if off? Or should I leave it because of its size?

n8young
Cool Member

I personally always prune off any branch on my tomato plants that comes anywhere close to the ground level. You kind of obviously have to let them grow a bit first, but from what I understand blight or other tomato plant issues are often times caused by whatever is in the soil being splashed up onto your tomato plants. So you prune those off, and anything splashing up will have a far smaller chance of actually getting to the sensitive tomato leaves.

That's what I have taken on the subject anyway.

jemsister

In your opinion, is it too small to prune? (it's just about 20 inches tall, not sure if you can tell exactly.)

applestar
Mod

I just pruned one like that off of Snow White this morning. I have it in a bucket of water right now until I can pot it up to root/clone it because I decided I want one more plant of this variety to try growing in a container (the plant is supposed to get huge but it's a cherry so I should be able to grow it in tight quarters....8))

jemsister

Wow, I didn't realize you could do that, but I guess it makes sense with the little root follicle thingies. That's awesome! Maybe I should try that. I only have one tom...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”