sepeters

Arkansas Traveler not setting fruit

This is my first time growing Arkansas Travelers and they are not setting fruit! :( I know that it is very hot in my region and not unusual for fruit set to be hit and miss this time of year, but all the other tomatoes are still setting tons and tons of fruit! Of all my varieties this one is supposed to be the most heat resistant, too.

I started it from seed in the beginning of February and aside from a little caterpillar :evil: damage, it has done just fine. The plant is huge and lush, producing lots of vegetation and flowers, but dropping most and I don't see the tiny tomato babies in the few that haven't fallen. It has lots of neighbors; to the left is a AAA Solana, to the right are cucumber vines, and in front are a few small okra seedlings. The cukes and solanas are loaded with fruit and the okra seems to be doing fine.

What could it be? Does this variety need extra space? More water than most? More P or K or Ca? Or do they just take forever for the fruit to be visible and I'm being impatient? :? I've been harvesting romas, toros, perons and solanos for a while now (all started the same day) and am beginning to think something is wrong!

Thoughts?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Your night time temperature may be too high. This makes pollen fail. Your tomato days are going to be about over till September.

Smallgardener

I know of several people that set up misters to cool off their maters in the heat of the day. They both harvest maters when no one else is. It gives them a rest from the heat and allows them to pollinate.

I had an Ark traveler last year and it did well compared to the other mater plants. It is a long season plant though.

sepeters

The Traveler seems to be finally setting fruit, so I guess I was just being impatient. Hopefully it is not too hot for the toms to fully ripen and I get to taste them! This is the time of year when the fruit usually stops setting and all but the largest on the vine just sit there stubbornly, refusing to blush. I don't know what they're so particular about...I'm bright red after an hour in the garden...
I'm afraid you may be right, tomc. But fall is so far and I just got the taste of bland tomatoes out of my mouth! Dang!
A mister would definitely help, however, I live in a condo and have no outdoor tap, so it'll have to go on my list for "one day!"

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”