Eleyana
Newly Registered

What could this be? Tomato Plant looks unhappy!

Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am trying my hands this year at growing several tomato varieties but I'm already failing as this little guy looks quite unhappy.

Any help or tips would be appreciated! :D

Thank you,

Ele

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: What could this be? Tomato Plant looks unhappy!

Definitely the first two pictures are looking quite unhappy. ID'ing problems like this isn't what I'm best at (other people are likely to show up who know more), but to start with the container looks very small for a plant that size. Once they are that big, they are hard to transplant. If you can move it in to a container with at least 5 gallons of soil, or more, that would be a good thing.

If not you are going to have to treat it like a hydroponics project, where all the nutrients are coming from what you feed it, not from the soil. It will need frequent watering and frequent fertilizing with a good organic fertilizer with lots of trace minerals and micro nutrients and not too much nitrogen (like Tomato Tone).

I'm not even for sure if that is a blight / disease or just a nutrient deficiency. I am leaning towards the latter, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of spotting, leaf curl, wilting, or other disease symptoms. Tell us more about what the soil is and what the conditions are (how much sun, how you are watering/feeding). Is it mainly the bottom leaves that are yellowing or do the new leaves at the top have it too?
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

imafan26
Mod

Some of the bottom leaves almost look like a chemical injury.
The leaves are very dark green. Even if the picture was taken later in the day, the plant looks like it could use a little more sun.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Windburn that the plant got when the leaves were young.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks TZ, that makes sense. I thought about sunburn, but it didn't quite look like that. I'm not very familiar with windburn.

Eleyana - if that is true, then the burned leaves will never recover, but the new leaves should be fine as the plant toughens up and it will not spread.

But what I said about to keep it in a small pot like that, you will have to water and feed it frequently remains true.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

'Sunburn' often is windburn. Little plants can take a lot more sun than they can take wind and those sunny spring days when you are trying to harden things off usually have a breeze blowing.

Eleyana
Newly Registered

Thank you all for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I will move the plant into a larger container. The winds have been really strong here lately in Oklahoma. My poor little plants got hailed on sideways yesterday even though I pulled them in to avoid being rained on... But I didn't expect the sideway stuff which hit them. Argh!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”