SLC

Is this blight, sunscald, cold weather or something else?

Background first: I live in central Connecticut. I planted from seeds 6 different tomatoes on March 27. So these have been growing for 2 months already. About 2 feet tall. About 3 weeks ago I started acclimating them to the outdoors but then it turned colder, so I brought them back indoors for a week or so. Then I started bringing them back out again, but then it rained, so about a week ago I brought them out one day, brought them in at night, brought them out the next day and left them out for the next couple days day and night. They seemed fine. Wednesday I finally put them in the ground, burying them about a foot deep, but not realizing we were going to have bad stormy cool weather. Thursday (the day after I got them in the ground) it rained, Friday it got cooler (about 60s during the day and 50s at night) and turned very windy while still raining. Saturday it poured and was very windy and high 30s/low 40s at night. Sunday it was still very windy, but finally the rain got lighter. Sunday afternoon, it finally turned partly sunny, but was still very windy. I went to look at them and 3 of the plants had broken at the bottom of the stems! Literally hanging on by a thread. I stood them back up and staked them and tied them to the stake, and covered the broken stems up with soil. I have no idea if they will survive or not. Anyway, I was so upset about that, I immediately planted 3 more indoors just in case they die. Last night was 39 degrees. So today, it is finally sunny and about 75, but still a little windy. I went outside to check on them, and that's when I noticed the leaves on all but one of the plants. It's not affecting all the leaves of each plant - just some. For now anyway. Who knows, maybe it will spread. For now, it just looks like some of the leaves are affected, not the stems. Here's what they look like - light brown sheer spots:

What do you think this is and is there any way to save the plants? Can I treat these leaves? How? Or should I just go replant all of them? Planting them now, they won't mature until mid September, when it starts to get cool here. Although, this is a very late spring here. I had all my plants in the ground a month earlier last year because the weather was right, but not this year. It is very cool this year. Hopefully that means we'll have a warmer fall. Anyway, next week will be in the 80s - FINALLY!!!!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You can tell by the leaves that these are very tender plants. The damage is from the hard wind and rain, literally rubbing the cells off of portions of the leaves. There will be no long term damage, so not to worry. You may want to put up some kind of block or temporary barrier until the plants toughen a bit.

jemsister

That's exactly what my plant looked like when it got hit by frost, only mine was so bad I had to prune most of it off (it was a very young and tender plant). The leaves on mine actually curled in and died, but yours doesn't look too bad. Even though I had to prune mine down, it came back and is doing great now. So I bet yours will be okay. No idea about the broken stems though, but I hope they survive!

SLC

Thanks! Phew! I guess it could have been worse! Actually, the leaves on mine ARE curling in and dying. Is it best to prune those back? There won't be much left of the plant if I do, but I suppose they are just gonna die off anyway....I didn't know it was safe to prune back a tomato plant??? Will it grow new leaves better if I do?

The 3 broken stem plants actually look okay other than the leaves in the pictures...it's been 3 days....they should have died by now if the broken stem was bad, right?

applestar
Mod

Check out the post about my broken tomato.
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 63#p282163

It healed and continued to fruit all winter although it's not one of the two plants that are STILL producing fruits at this point.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”