RamonaGS
Green Thumb

Asking the experts on tomatoes and maybe peppers?!

I saw a pin on Pinterest that recommends spraying tomatoes and peppers while they are flowering, with a solution of epsom salt mixed with water, to boost them to produce more fruit. It says that it gives them extra magnesium fruit. I attached a link to the article that talks about spraying the peppers with it, but I saw it recommended for tomatoes too.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you all think it would work? Would it be a good thing, or would it potentially lead to more problems?

https://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/feature ... ppers.html

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

They make it sound like you have to do it or you will fail, but most soil has plenty of magnesium in it and roots take it up very easily. But Magnesium competes with calcium, so spraying the foliage is better early in the season than dumping it on the dirt if you have problems with blossom end rot.

Magnesium + sulfur = epsoms salts are minor nutrients compared to the major fertilizer componets, nitrogen phosphorus and potassium, which is why they are not part of the formulas. But they are fairly harmelss so you can use epsoms salts at 1 or 2 tablespoons per gallon of water and it won't put your plant out of whack the way a high dose of fertilizer will. It's like vitamin C in a way. You need little to prevent scurvy, and a lot will not hurt you. Lots of women have babies witout taking mega doses of vitamin C.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

Ah ok! I was curious about it, and I'm glad I found a place where I can ask experienced people about these things, because each of these articles makes it sound like their suggestion/trick is a vital part of successful growing. If you spray your plants they will instantly fruit, but if you don't...they'll die the next day!!! :roll: I may try it if I have problems with my plants.

Thank you for responding with your insight! :D

imafan26
Mod

It is more important to select varieties that do well where you live. If you live anywhere that gets over 90 degrees in summer, tomatoes will stop fruiting and flowers will drop unless you have something that is heat tolerant.

I live where it is humid most of the time and nematodes are a given, so I need pepper and tomato varieties with good nematode and Fungal resistance.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

It does get in the 90's here in summer, but the plants I have are from the local store and I know other people around here grow the varieties I have. The only one I'm not sure about is Black Prince Heirloom. I'll have to look it up. Hopefully, I am not headed for a painful learning experience this summer, :shock: !

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”