Jeffross1968

Brand names of good copper spray?

I'm just not going to let things have a chance to get out of control this year. Especially since half my garden is going to be late anyway, because Burgess failed my order of starters. So...I was hoping I could get the names of some copper sprays so I can start spraying for fungal issues now, instead of trying to treat later which didn't work last year. I live in a smallish town, but have access to a Lowes and Walmart, if that helps.

Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

Brands may vary, by what the store orders and region. If you can find an agricultural supply dealer that sells retail, you can get larger quantities from them cheaper than at the box stores.

Whether you are buying from a box store or retailer, what matters is that the label contains either sulfur or copper sulfate as the active ingredient.

Copper can be toxic in quantity so always follow the label instructions. I prefer wetable sulfur but it is getting harder to find.

Most of the labels will say something like 3 in 1 garden spray, multipurpose, or garden fungicide. There are other fungicides on the market besides sulfur like chlorothalonil, captan, maneb, zaneb, again read and follow the label instructions and select the one that works best for what you are treating.

I don't have to treat plants with fungicides year round and I don't treat every plant. Fungi need warm, moist humid conditions to survive. I only spray when those conditions are prime like a few days after heavy rain.
Making sure the plants have good air circulation and selecting the right cultivars also helps prevent fungal disease.

Baking soda sprays, and horticultural oil sprays can also work as fungal preventive if applied at the proper time.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”