Garf
Green Thumb

Spider Mites

Spider Mites are killing my tomatoes. I'm planning to get radical to kill them ranging from a methanol spray to Raid house & garden. Something has to work.

applestar
Mod

I had a terrible time with two-spotted spidermites on one of my Winter Indoor tomatoes. There is a predator for it but I didn't feel justified in buying the smallest number available for just one plant. Luckily it was a determinate and limped along and ripened the dozen or so fruits it had before checking out.

I HATE that they are so tiny/microscopic I can't see them without holding a leaf right in front of my face. I can at least see red spidermites.

The two spotted spidermites migrated to my Hot Lemon and Jalapeño pepper plants that were in the same window though they were slower to succumb. I have them outside now, and I think they are starting to turn around, so hopefully their natural enemy is in my garden patrol and have found them... Or the more humid outside environment is less conducive to their survival. :twisted:

imafan26
Mod

Spider mites are a problem. Baking soda spray helps to desiccate them. They are common mostly in hot dry dusty weather. Hosing off the leaves helps too. Other than that keep the plant well watered and fed so you can get a harvest.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I may be out of my league on this one. Or, I'm out of my geography.

The spider mites are always a problem in my dahlia garden. Since it is over 1200sqft, that's lots of room for a mite metropolis.

I start off in the morning with a strong blast of water. I've adapted the watering wand with a sprayer so that it is easier to use under the leaves. I figure the mite dies of starvation before he can make it back to a plant if the water has shot him a few feet out onto bare ground. Honestly, I think the water does as much good as an insecticide and yet, they get hit with something non-organic and systemic, when they aren't in the veggies.

In the vegetable garden, I use insecticidal soap about sundown. It seems to do a pretty good number on the mites.

A couple things: Killing them may also kill their predators. And, mites breed like rabbits . . . or, something. Even a single dahlia plant must look like a planet to be colonized to a mite. Once they begin to really cause problems, it is war. Probably the Yanamamo with poison darts would be the most effective.

Steve

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Applestar, when you say two, Is that not one but two or two type of mites?

applestar
Mod

It's a species of spidermite. I described them here
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 36#p283736

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

So they're mites with two spots. OK

Garf
Green Thumb

I mixed up a batch of Neem oil & spreader/sticker and soaked the remains of my plants today. We have a storm coming so no sunshine. The Neem should do its job before the rain hits.

imafan26
Mod

If it rains heavy enough, it might help wash off the spider mites.

Garf
Green Thumb

It looks like the plants have survived the spraying. It will take some time to see about the spider mites.

Garf
Green Thumb

The seedlings certainly have perked up.
Attachments
MVC-003F.JPG
MVC-003F.JPG (46.41 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

Garf
Green Thumb

The seedlings certainly have perked up.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”