gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Picked my first tomatoes yesterday

Not many, but enough to make a little salad for the wife and I. I got 5 cherry and 1 creole tomato off the vines yesterday. If the rest on the plants stay bug and rot free, I should be rolling in them in a couple weeks time. I just hope we don't get a ton of rain as they are ripening since too much water splits them open very easily. I had that problem last year just before summer and it messed up at least half the tomatoes.

applestar
Mod

Already? Wow. Weren't you posting about harvesting from your fall plants in January?

Many of mine are blooming as I plant them in the garden, so hopefully I'll be harvesting out of the garden by the end of June, though I'm till harvesting increasingly smaller (cherry sized fruits) from my Winter Indoor tomatoes (mostly Spudakee, last of the determinate Donomaters and Zarnitsa, and Sophie's Choice is actually shooting out more floral trusses. I think if I were to uppot the Spudakee and SC or even plant them in the ground, they might re-surge, but planting space is at a premium right now....

Enjoy! :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Already? Wow. Weren't you posting about harvesting from your fall plants in January?

Many of mine are blooming as I plant them in the garden, so hopefully I'll be harvesting out of the garden by the end of June, though I'm till harvesting increasingly smaller (cherry sized fruits) from my Winter Indoor tomatoes (mostly Spudakee, last of the determinate Donomaters and Zarnitsa, and Sophie's Choice is actually shooting out more floral trusses. I think if I were to uppot the Spudakee and SC or even plant them in the ground, they might re-surge, but planting space is at a premium right now....

Enjoy! :D
Yeah, I was getting tomatoes in January this year from plants I put in the garden in mid September. Tomatoes ripen so much slower in cooler months.

My cherry tomatoes are ripening pretty fast and I got 6 more this afternoon. I only planted 8 tomato plants this year but have at least that many volunteers around the garden that I'm letting have their way to see what happens. They will either be cherry or creole varieties. I have one Cherry tomato plant growing next to my compost pile that is going crazy and full of green tomatoes right now. The volunteers in the garden are weeks behind it.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”