NewGardenerCanada

Purple Leaves - is this bad? (picture)

My seedlings have started turning purple on the underside of their leaves. I've read online that this might be because the room is too cold. They are sitting in a sunny window during the day so maybe I should move them to a warm room during the nights when it gets a bit drafty? Anything else that could be causing this?
Attachments
tomato.jpg

alexmac
Newly Registered

hi new gardener
Purple underside of plant leaves generally indicates a phosphorus deficiency which could be from a soil that is too cold , too wet, too dry, for the bacteria that feed the plants to be busy, so plant is not able to get phosphorus or maybe, possibly a general phosphorus deficiency in the soil.
this is common in seedlings when cold, keep warm and just moist and they normally grow ok.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I wouldn't worry about it right now. I think your plants need more light though.

NewGardenerCanada

Thanks for the feedback!

PunkRotten - I took this photo at night... the seed tray is sitting in a sunny window during the day. Did you say that they need more light because of the way the seedlings look or because of how dark the picture looked? Just curious!

lily51
Greener Thumb

Tomatoes are heavy feeders. I've not had one this size get pull I shall, but when it happened e 's it can be a phosphorous deficiency. A'll so, tomatoes need magnesium, which not all fertilizers have.
Does your starting mix have any nutrients in it? If not, a mild solution may be needed now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is not uncommon in indoor grown tomatoes and will likely correct itself once they get planted in the ground.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”