gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Re: tomatoes and peppers in or out?

Yes this is the crazy time if the year. I did loose one plant so not too bad.

Got my mators ( in pots) back outside I actually potted up about 10 more. That is that many more to bring in Tue night.

Oh we'll this is it I think. The rest of the dwarfs are hardened off and the regular garden tomatoes are right on track to go in mid may give or take.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Well, I'm home and happy to see there is no total loss...

Every Cuke, every squash and every well covered tomatoes got some frost bite, but nothing they would recover from, will pinch off those frost bitten leafs in a day or two...

However, the four "earlies" between the garage and the SUV I parked right along the side - not covered, and not a single frost bite! Heated by the south side sun concrete and metal of SUV shielded those nicely!

I hope all is well for you all too!

Regards,
D

applestar
Mod

Glad to hear your plants made it through DV :D
My bunch huddled under the patio table seem to be OK too. I also left some winter indoor determinates that may have some life left outside under the trees :twisted: and they may have pulled through.

Everyone else that are too big to fit under the lights are being hustled in and out of the garage. I took them out in the full sun after temps rose to 48-50°F and will probably be bringing them back in again later. They sit in the dark in the garage to prevent unwanted directional growth. Ones that can fit under the lights are staying there and will just have to be re-acclimated, but I'll have plenty to keep me busy planting after this last bit of wintry gasp is over.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Everything is staying out tonight. Some purple basil that had been planted is looking kind of shrivelly from cold, but most everything else is ok so far.

applestar
Mod

Brought mine in again tonight since the forecast is 40°F so strong probability that we'll have another drop in the 30°s.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, mine is up to a dozen trays now of tender stuff, so I am avoiding bringing it all back in whenever I can. Currently at 7 AM, intellicast says it is 41 and probably a couple degrees warmer on my deck, so probably every thing was ok. I haven't been out yet, but have looked out the windows at it and it all looks ok. Only predicted to go down to 50 tonight but the weather report currently has wed and thurs at 37 and 38, so I will STILL be having this debate! :shock: There's only a few weeks of the year I really wish I had a greenhouse. This is one of them.

applestar
Mod

I know you do a lot of hiking and outdoorsy stuff -- do you have a tent?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I know you do a lot of hiking and outdoorsy stuff -- do you have a tent?
I was thinking something along them ways Apple. I need to bring my, now, 47 dwarfs in pots tonight and it has been raining all. Which means I have to bring in 47 wet, heavy plants that will soon leak all over the floor. :cry: Only to bring out the next day. :evil:

I have a canopy I thought about making a temp greenhouse out of instead of bringing them all in again. I actually thought about the tent too, great minds think alike.

Only supposed to be 38 tonight in St Louis but I will be cooler here and it is just not worth losing all these plants.

applestar
Mod

I really need to plant some! Flower buds (still tiny) on quite a few of those seedlings. :bouncey:

..but they are still predicting 41°F thurs night, 36°F :shock: fri night, then 41°F again Sat night. :?

I left them out there tonight and the forecast is now 43°F :|

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sigh... everything (a baker's dozen of trays) is back indoors. The last time I checked the forecast yesterday evening, they had revised it downwards to 33 with frost warnings. So the 13 trays came back in and four more that should have come in, but there wasn't room for got moved against the house wall and covered.

We are way past the 50% last frost date and closing in on the 90% probability of no frost date... Lots of the plants are looking quite raggedy at this point.

It's all going to just stay in today, because tonight is still cold too and THEN we should finally be done with near freezing temps! :shock:

mattie g
Green Thumb

Everything's getting planted tomrorow. I only have seven tomato plants and six peppers, so it's not a lot of work really. But I don't have much room for error since these are heirlooms I order online. It's pretty hard to find what I want at the local nurseries around here.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm with you RBG and I am as tired of it as you. We have basically the same weather patterns and frost dates.

I put my dwarfs back out today (Thur 25) they are staying, barring any 32's god forbid. I am planting this weekend too, like you said some plants are looking raggedy' they are outgrowing their pots. They need some good 'ol fashioned MO soil and soon.

Good luck my friend I have a good feeling about this year, as with every other year but this year I mean it. :mrgreen: :-()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

As soon as it warms up today everything is going back out. This weekend stuff will get planted/ sold. My tend day forecast now has mostly nights in the 50's, having mostly skipped the whole 40's thing ...

If I went just by this year, I would say I started everything too early, even though in fact I started later than usual. But if next year, I go by this year's dates, I will probably end up wishing I had plants sooner. Oh well . . .

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh sigh ... Went out to check the temps, and discovered a tray of basil that I just managed to miss when I was bringing things in, in the dark in the middle of a crowd of plants. They are very shrivelled now, not for sure dead though...

applestar
Mod

Oh, bummer. :( Yeah, basils are divas. Mine are all bruised from wind gusts that I didn't take into consideration. :?

I keep wanting to take all my 40's and above plants out for good, but they keep sprinkling the forecast with 30's.... Some of them are clustered around windows in various parts of the house and will be too complicated to haul back in, so either they are in, or they are out.

Supposed to be 36°F tonight. Maybe THIS is the last one?

sepeters

Geez, sounds like y'all are really getting the runaround from the weather! This year spring has been weird all over. Hope you guys have good luck with the rest of spring!
I too wish I had planted sooner, but we had late frosts, hail and freezing rain and even snow :shock: that killed off the first batch of seedlings when I thought we were in the clear. So, we started over in early Feb. Well, now the forecast says 99F on Mon and the maters already look like they may not set any more fruit this year. If that's true I'll get about 6 pieces of fruit from each plant. :cry: We can control many things in our gardens, but in the end nature has the final say.
Perhaps it's time for me to re-read apple's Winter Indoor Tomato thread and buy some seeds and do my own Summer Indoor Tomato Project. :wink:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”