ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Planting my seedlings

So here is the deal. I decided to start new tomato varieties from seed this year. I REALLY messed up. I planted too late - Beginning of March. I did not set up a proper growing station. I was counting on being able to have my starts outside. Wrong answer - really crazy late cold snaps. My seeds did germinate and I have all of these real spindly looking starts. My fault for not doing it right but still dissapointing. Any way I was workig in the garden Friday. I share bean seeds with the birds and my cucumers got hit by the last frost.
So while planting seeds I noticed a volunteer tomato plant. It was not there 2 weeks ago. It has 4 sets of true leaves and a a very nice stocky stem. I look at my much babied seedlings and think OMG what happened? Any way as soon as the rain stops I am going to go for it and plant my seedlings. They either survive or they don't. I WILL do a better job for my fall seed starts.

All I can do is see what happens. Those babies are going in the garden today.

Another educational experience.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They will probably do fine anyway, though a bit slower than if they had gotten a better start. If you had gotten started earlier and things had gone well, you might have ripe tomatoes by now. Some of my tomato seedlings are blooming already.

You might want to go ahead and grow out the volunteer too, see what it turns in to! :)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thanks RB. Yes I will let the volunteer grow but I need to move it another little corner of my little garden. It is growing where I need to plant one of my other maters. You are correct my poor spindly starts will probably do just fine in the garden. I will plant them so only the top is above ground then pray. Oh well, I am long over stressing about garden failures. I look at them as a learning experience.

The rain has stopped. I changed into my grubbies and I am headed to the garden to plant my starts. See what happens.

Thanks all.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I read to "really spindly starts"

You need more/closer light.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”