applestar
Mod

Tomato seedlings are getting some sun

I had my tomato seedlings out in the sun :D It was almost hot in the sun today, so much so that at one point, I put them all UNDER the table. :o
(Another 50 or so are still in the house because they are STILL waiting to be upblocked :roll: :oops:)

All kinds of of tomato foliage 8)

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

you know....I've wondered about letting mine play outside some this week....but I'm a little scared of scorching them. How do you know when to get them out of the sun? Mine normally spend their days like 1 inch under 60W-6500K CFL bulbs....oh, and mine are still just pups...

applestar
Mod

Mine have been going outside for some time now. Tomato seedlings can go outside when temperature is in the upper 40's and sunny or -- to be safe -- 50°F or above.

But you need to let them get used to the sun and air movements gradually. 30 min to 1 hour for the first time, and gradually increase exposure. It's a good idea to start in an area protected from wind. Sun exposure can be limited by putting them in dappled sunshine under trees or by morning/rising sun and late afternoon/setting sun vs. Noonday sun as well.

I also make use of partly cloudy or scattered sun days, though that backfired the other day when wind picked up and blew all the clouds away while I was out, causing a tray of tomatoes that hadn't been acclimated sufficiently to be left out in the sun too long.

Be sure that they have been well watered before going out, and/or check on their soil moisture level while they are outside (heft test).

applestar
Mod

I just noticed you said 60W -- I usually use 100W equivalent (23-26W) CFL.
6500K is the correct color range for seedlings.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I put the first peppers out for a little while yesterday and will bring some tomatoes out today. But it will be windy with thunderstorms later, so I may do the under the table thing too.

I just have to get some things out, they are way too crowded. Stuff is starting to shade each other out, because 18 plants don't really fit in a tray any more, so I have to get some things out... Marigolds are out.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, they look Real Pretty, Applestar.

It is something that my plants are NOT getting - sun. It is only 43°F and a little breezy so they wouldn't be going outside, anyway. Still, it would be nice if they'd get a little sunlight in the greenhouse!

On the 6th, it was sunny enuf that I ventured to open a vent & turn a cooling fan to automatic. I'm pretty sure it never came on. Yesterday, daylight did turn off the furnace for several hours . . . That looks like it is the best that will happen for today. It is mid-afternoon and only 67° completely closed up.

The plants are all small but starting to show signs of being light-deprived. It is always this way.

Steve

with more protective growing room this year, I'm just about ready to give them more room in the trays. 24 plants per tray instead of 48 - then space out the 4" pots so there are only 9 plants in a tray! there should be minimum competition from each other. You know how siblings fight . . .

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looking good applestar.

I had my plants out yesterday to while potting up. I put about 8 dwarfs in their final pots and left them out. They have little to no sunburn. They are in a somewhat shaded spot depending on the time of day. Stuck one in the garden too it was a indet (non dwarf) that got planted a long time ago and is already flowering (yellow). It also has no sunburn.

Yeah I'm crazy, I am also not as down with the whole week long hardening off like most. Yes I do know why hardening off is done on the botanical/biological level.

applestar
Mod

...and Gixx is off to an early start! :>

I've been having sunburn problems because I decided I want to give the seedlings as much sun as possible, not jut for hardening off. But it's hard to walk all the trays from the garage through the house and out the back door, and I have so many plants started that it takes me a long time to get them out and in at all. So I had been putting them all on the driveway on top of the back of the boat, top of the recycle bucket, trash can, cooler, bench from the patio, etc. But I ran out of things to put them on.

I bought the picnic table to put in the side yard just outside the garage and that worked out great, but it turns out that this spot is extra sunny. On the driveway, the sun doesn't come around the house until maybe 1 PM, but the sun starts to shine on the side yard starting around 10:30AM and until sunset puts the sun behind some street trees.

Today, I hauled the picnic table into the backyard where I normally harden off seedlings -- it gets sun from sunrise until bare/just budding tree branches cast a dappled shade starting around 11 and then the area stays heavily shaded by a white pine until the sun comes around to set. This way, I won't have to worry about them scorching in the noonday sun. The tomatoes can stay out 24 hrs for the rest of the week (80/60°F heat wave) until Friday night when it's supposed to drop down to 41°F and then 36°F night after that (extrapolate to 38°F and 33°F in my garden) :shock:

If it wasn't for the crazy forecast, I would think I could be planting tomatoes too. As it is, it feels as if it's too late to be planting the normal things like potatoes and broccoli. (I have all my potatoes to plant still :x) It's certainly almost too hot. I'm not conditioned yet to the hard work and the heat is driving me inside to rest before I get heatstroke. :roll:

But...now I'm thinking about how sunny that sideyard space is and thinking hmmmm how can I redesign that area so I can plant stuff and stay functional for backyard access at the same time.... 8)

applestar
Mod

OK, planted all the broccoli -- yeah yeah I know this is in the Tomato Forum :>

...definitely close to heat exhaustion at this point, but I didn't think they would last through the heat wave above ground since they were still in the 2" mini soil blocks.

As it is, all my winter months of armchair garden planning is being -- insert appropriate expression here -- because I don't have the energy to prep semi-finished garden beds. They went in where it was EASIEST. :roll: I'll be paying for that short-sighted maneuver later. :oops:

I sat with the tomato seedlings during breaks where it was nice and cool in the shade. :mrgreen:
...DigitS your temperatures sound VERY attractive right now...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I put some early veggies in as well, greens, carrots, whatnot. Some went down for a bit but they sprung right back up as usual with little to no hardening off. But I am a sort of Guerilla gardener, it's do or die most of the time. Heck I like to throw seeds all willy nilly too, yeah that stuff is coming up in the front garden as well. :mrgreen:

If you don't mind Apple I will go on about my secret to hardening off. My table is in the perfect spot. It get's 2 hours early morning sun and 2 hours of late evening sun. The rest is shade. Pick a cloudy day to set them out. And I will let them hang out most of the day. follow up the same the next few days and I think they are good to go.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Gixxerific's table is in the sweet spot. I've got a place like that too but it just gets wind protection and all day filtered shade except early in the morning.

Well, it is certainly interesting to learn about too much heat in the country where I didn't really expect it.

A sunny day - at least it was thru most of the day! It was almost a struggle to keep the greenhouse below 85°. However . . . even with very little wind, outdoors had only a 54° high.

I probably could have left the greenhouse for a few hours at mid-day for some gardening but opted to hang out in there to move tomatoes out of 4-packs and into 4" pots. As soon as the clouds began to move in about 1pm the temperature would drop like a stone every little while. I've got too few things automated.

Steve

RogueRose
Green Thumb

OMG! I am so behind! You're in NJ and yours are already so big and happy. I just STARTED my mater seeds. :(

They look great though applestar!

applestar
Mod

Thanks, RogueRose, but ask me again tomorrow.... I should have checked for change in forecasts after seeing Rainbowgardener's post. We usually get whatever it is a couple of days later.... The cold front is pushingnthis way and it's windy and stormin' out there right now with a major system headed this way. :eek:

-- I wasn't expecting the serious winds until tomorrow and the heavy rains until Friday.... :roll:

My poor babies might all be laying down and drowning by tomorrow morning. :shock:

It's 80°F in the house and 60°F and going down outside, too.

Wup! It's starting to pour! :|

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Hope yours made it. My dwarfs in pots made it through torndic conditions.

applestar
Mod

Thanks, Gixx. Some of them are waterlogged and leaning over, but they seem to have come through OK. Now to see if I can move them all back inside before tonight's drop into the 40' and tomorrow's 90% chance of heavy down pours... Then lows in the 30's -- 30's! -- over the weekend. You know they grow every time you put them outside. I don't even know if they'll FIT under the lights any more. :roll:

Yep. Definitely started them a tad too early. :oops: PETE
...and so many too :oops: PETC

... :>

erins327

Yay! Living in the South has it's perks!

This is my garden (with toms in foreground, and winter stuff still going in the background) a few weeks ago. Started the seedlings Jan 15th.

https://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag1 ... d64faa.jpg

This is a closeup shot of a tomatillo when it first got its toms. Now they are about the size of a golf ball.

https://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag1 ... 9620bb.jpg

Stage 1 of the hard part is over. I hardened and transported them into the ground successfully. Stage 2 is keeping the birds and squirrels from stealing them!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Thanks, Gixx. Some of them are waterlogged and leaning over, but they seem to have come through OK. Now to see if I can move them all back inside before tonight's drop into the 40' and tomorrow's 90% chance of heavy down pours... Then lows in the 30's -- 30's! -- over the weekend. You know they grow every time you put them outside. I don't even know if they'll FIT under the lights any more. :roll:

Yep. Definitely started them a tad too early. :oops: PETE
...and so many too :oops: PETC

... :>
Tell me about it! That storm was crazy! I even was startled awake with one of those thunder-claps. I personally like the cooler temps than those 80s we had the last couple days. I'm glad to hear that yours are doing well though despite the storm. We're in for some 'normal' weather the next few days as far as I can see. My lemon and Mandevala are outside. They're just going to have to stay outside. Esp the lemon. Too heavy and painful to move.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”