bwhite829

unexpected frost...will my tomatoes(and peppers) survive?

So I got all of my plants in the ground on Saturday, only to have a frost the past few nights...I was able to put planting pots with stuffed newspapers over them to protect them the first nights but my dogs got to them and scattered the newspaper and pots all over the yard so I didn't bother tonight and last night...They are wilted some but still alive from what I can tell...I've got 1 tom that lost its leaves that will probably be done for....should I just keep them alive and see what happens or replace them in a couple weeks? I read somewhere(not very trusting of ehow.com) that once a frost hits peppers they won't recover and can't fruit regardless of what you do. These are bells w/ 1 sweet banana so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thanks!

I'm building a small low tunnel for my starts this year so I don't have to worry about that...

applestar
Mod

I would wait and see. Sometimes they can surprise you and it depends on how well they had been hardened off too.

But for future ref, I always wait to plant peppers for at least another week, sometimes two more weeks after planting tomatoes.

It's something I'm struggling with, because people overwinter mature pepper plants outside in the ground where they have mid-upper 20°F winter. But so far, planting pepper seedlings while it's still too cold have resulted in unhappy plants.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

All you can do is wait and see. We have also had unexpected frost the last 2 nights and probably again tonight. My pepper plants look ok. The cucumber seedlings look a little burnt but not too bad. I can always plant more if needed. Some of my bush bean seedlings also look a little burnt but that is not an issue. I always have to plant more because I have to share with the birds. Thankfully my tomato seedlings are still to small to go into the garden. My neighbor planted tomato starts a couple of weeks ago and I was feeling envious of her lovely plants. We were chatting across the fence yesterday and she was really upset over the leaf burn on her beautiful starts. "Should I trim them? Should I pull them out? Will they be OK?" Told her the same thing - wait and see.

Mther nature is a powerful force. Especially this time of year when the push is on to grow.

Give them a week or 2. the temps will be back up in a couple of days. See what happens. Oh don't forget to water. The March winds are sucking moisture out of the soil at an amazing rate. I am having to water every other day - as much as during the heat of summer. I think that helps. Well watered soil keeps the roots from being impacted by the frost and light freeze that we are experiencing.

Good luck

bwhite829

I'm going to have a hoop house up in late Oct/Nov...I figure w/ our mild winters I can have them all winter long if I handle it right. If nothing else this was a fairly cheap lesson..all that was lost was about 20 tom seeds and $10 in plants. I'll do things differently next yr.

erins327

We got down to 34 last week and my tomato and pepper crop did great. They got a little freezer burned on the tips that was all. Of course, here in Texas, it was 85 high the next day, so they kept on truckin' along with their tomato makin'!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would keep your good eye on the peppers. :wink: It has been a weird year for them with lot of people I know.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”