JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Started my 'mater seeds today!

Did four pots each of seven varieties. 2 seeds per pot, will thin to 1. I only need about 6 plants for the ground and two of the supersweet cherry tomato type for containers. I keep the best, and give away the rest. My coworkers love me in the spring. When I walk in carrying my surplus plants, they usually get snapped up before I make it up to my room. Happens a couple times a week during the spring. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway my last frost is usually around mid may, so I think I'm right on schedule.

I planted:

German Johnson
Cherokee Purple
Prudens Purple
Big Beef (hybrid)
Brandywine
Box Car Willie
Supersweet VF100 (hybrid)

:D

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Good Luck with them. I can imagine that your coworkers appreciate your efforts. I have started seeds indoors for years, always more than I need. For this year and last, I used a small green house for the effort, and have WAY MORE than I need. Love to grow 'em.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I give away or donate to my church plant sale lots of tomato and other seedlings. I just like to grow them.

Where in Virginia do you have last frost date in mid-May? I am north of you and my last frost date is mid-April. Are you in the mountains?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sound like you are on track, good luck

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Yeah, I give away or donate to my church plant sale lots of tomato and other seedlings. I just like to grow them.

Where in Virginia do you have last frost date in mid-May? I am north of you and my last frost date is mid-April. Are you in the mountains?
Yep....Mountains of SW Va. I usually try to cheat and get my plants in the ground by mid to late April, but then have a handful of nervous nights covering the plants with buckets and mulch. I lost a couple last year and had to replant. I'm going to try to keep these out of the ground until at least the 1st week of May, if the 10 day forecast looks favorable at that time.

Speaking of frost....I just got in from digging my cabbages and brussels sprouts out from about 1/2 inch of sleet and slush, and covered them up. Expecting several inches of sleet and wet snow today and tonight! :lol: :? :? :lol:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”