Cola82
Green Thumb

Weird blisters on tomato seedlings?

So I've noticed that a lot of my cherry tomatoes have these weird bumps on their little branches--primarily the lower branches, but sometimes the stems and upper branches, too. When I gently scratched one, it easily broke open like a blister. I don't have a magnifying glass and my vision is hardly amazing, so I can't really tell what's going on. I tried to take decent photos, but of course I don't have manual control over my iphone's depth of field, so it was extremely hard. Please forgive me if these are too fuzzy.

As far as I can tell, my peppers, basil, and the Borghese tomatoes are free of this issue. Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do?

Cola82
Green Thumb

I've been googling around and I think it might just be root nodes. I did recently repot a bunch of them and when I did, I watered them a little more than I thought was wise because I wanted to be sure the roots were in contact with the soil. So I think maybe I'll just try to let them dry out and see if that helps. This person had a very similar problem and the plants survived and produced fruit just fine.

I've had the fan going at night and they're all under grow lights that make the room pretty warm, even though the bulbs themselves stay very cool to the touch (I don't know how that works, but the rest of the house is freezing).

Anyway, if I'm wrong, let me know. Wouldn't want to lose my tomatoes or put any of the other seedlings at risk.

applestar
Mod

I remember a thread from a while back reporting similar water blisters on tomato leaves. I think it had to do with the plant not handling sudden too much water well or something like that -- a structural defect in the cells and nothing to worry about.

Cola82
Green Thumb

Well, the leaves are completely free of any lesions and a few of the branches that had them have actually fallen off since I posted this. :(

I'm just going to continue telling myself it's going to be okay and that I'm worried about nothing because I have a tendency to worry about nothing. Comes with being a nervous wreck, I guess.

kimbledawn

I agree with Apple, I wouldn't worry too much. It's so close to the soil that I would have pinched it off anyway, just watch your watering schedule and it should be fine. Good looking plants :D

Cola82
Green Thumb

Thanks man. I'll try to relax. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes I am with the others you may as well cut that stem off it looks like it is only on the very bottom stem. That will be romeove when potting up and planting deepaer anyways.

Other than that those seedlings look amazing to me.

Dono

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”