leke
Cool Member

Do species adapt quickly to new environments?

I should really ask this in a general edibles forum, but since I like growing tomatoes so much, I think this will do.

So, if you bring a tomato species into a new climate, say from a southern European to a subarctic (I have to start them off indoors for a month or so), will that species adapt to form a new type of tomato suitable for short growing seasons and cooler temps? I'm using seeds from each harvest of course.

If so, how long does it usually take to adapt?

Thanks.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

minor correction - that would be a variety, not a species - but I assure you your English is way better than my Finnish, so don't worry too much about that.

many many crops come in two very very basic types:
- hybrids
- open pollinated - aka "heirloom"

hybrid seeds / plants come from two different parents. the seeds in the fruit of a hybrid tomato will not "come true" in the next generation. the results could be better, or worse - it's a big 'unknown'

open pollination generally results in a fruit that produces seed that is the same or extremely similar to the parent. but not always - "mutations" and "selective breeding" is how most of the grains/fruits/vegetables of "today" evolved - long before techniques of 'hybridization' or 'genetic manipulation' was ever heard of.

with regard to "converting" a Mediterranean tomato to a sub-Artic short season tomato, that will take quite a few generations of successful 'selective breeding' - basically
you save the seeds from the plants that first produce fruits
plant / grow them next year
save the seeds from the plants that first produce fruits
repeat - if you even get fruits/seeds - until nature's mutations show up.

leke
Cool Member

Dillbert wrote: ...with regard to "converting" a Mediterranean tomato to a sub-Artic short season tomato, that will take quite a few generations of successful 'selective breeding' - basically
you save the seeds from the plants that first produce fruits
save the seeds from the plants that first produce fruits
repeat - if you even get fruits/seeds - until nature's mutations show up.
Cool, that's what I did last year, so I'll continue that route this year then.
I also picked up some early varieties from Russian Siberia and Latah County, Idaho so I'm looking forward to see how that works out here.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”