IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I Need 5 gal buckets in Indianapolis

I am trying to help some of my friends out that live in apartments, and am going to give them a tomato plant in a 5 gal bucket. Problem is, I have no buckets. If there is any place that I can pick them up for free (and local) I will be there.

I tried Jimmy Johns, they use their extras.

Any other ideas will be good too

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

keep checking other places that may use buckets.

Another place is construction sites. I get them all the time but I am in construction so it's easier for me.

This gets me thinking I should be looking for some from local resturaunts. I think I have more dwarfs than good pots, well it will be close.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I second what gixxerific said. Hit construction sites and look for ones that sheetrock mud came in. Even if it is dried up in the bucket, simply fill it with water and let it sit a while and that will soften it up enough to get out pretty easily. Next best is latex paint buckets with pretty much the same procedure.

If all else fails, head to Home Depot, Lowe's, or since you are in Indiana, look into Menard's. I was in the one in Bloomington a couple years ago while helping a friend frame up his addition and they have EVERYTHING.

applestar
Mod

Deli shops have 4 gal pickle buckets (which some call "barrels")... bakeries get frosting in them I hear. pickle buckets are easier to clean though. There was a whole thread of suggestions... Maybe in the Container Forum? Thought it was stickified.

Make sure to pick varieties that will grow well in the 5 gal which is on the small side for big indeterminates.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Deli shops have 4 gal pickle buckets (which some call "barrels")... bakeries get frosting in them I hear. pickle buckets are easier to clean though. There was a whole thread of suggestions... Maybe in the Container Forum? Thought it was stickified.
Yep, it's right at the top of the forum. But this is a short-cut. :wink:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

ha ha. see that is the part of the forum that I have not ventured into.

I found 35 that already have drain plugs in the bottom for $40. craigslist is not so bad!!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

IndyGerdener wrote:ha ha. see that is the part of the forum that I have not ventured into.

I found 35 that already have drain plugs in the bottom for $40. craigslist is not so bad!!
That is great find not sure about price but the plug is awesome. Are they on the bottom on on the side near the bottom?

I was thinking about this last night. Looking at how many pots I have in general and thinking how many buckets I have in case. I have a few with drain holes but now they are usless for anything but plants. I was dreading drilling holes in my good buckets which I use all the time. With drain plugs they are multi purpose. :wink:

Gardener123
Green Thumb

I know you wanted free, but lowe's sells them for under $3 each.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Drill a hole in the bottom of a bucked but not on the bottom but one inch up on the side. Make it the size of a small flex plastic tube. Insert the tube and clip it to the side of the bucket at the top. It works great to drain it if you need! I buy buckets all the time at my local bake shop for a dollar and they are nice sstrong and clean! They are 4 gallon and a square cucket that is about three gallons but great for one tomato!

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I found 35 buckets for $40 and just today I found 55 gal plastic drums for $15. I will be buying 2 tomorrow :lol:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Oil change places sell 50 gallon metal drums for $10 each usually I like the plastic 50 gallon drums better . The plastic drums have all sorts of things in them originally even saurkraugh. Guys that do plaster in new homes usually have lots of 5 gallon drums thrown away! Look in the dumpster at tractor supply you may find a few!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

My parent's had 3 Dairy Queen stores for many years. Pickles came in 5 gallon buckets. If anyone asked they sold the buckets for a couple of bucks - with the lid. Just ask around. My folks have been out of business for 15 years but I still have and cherish my 5 gallon pickle buckets. Easy enough to find if you look local.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”