applestar
Mod

Re: Winter Indoor Tomato variety candidates

I wasn't up to going outside today, but with yet another overnight heavy rain/flood warnings , I decided to brave the drizzle and go check on the near-ripe tomatoes. Good thing too! Here are today's picks :D

- This isn't for Winter Trial, but first let me describe the Pineapple Pig which was --really-- not supposed to be fruiting yet but had managed to eke out a sizable fruit extra early. I guess it was suffering from the stress after all. The early fruit had become riddled with disease and finally split wide open from the scabby skin not being able to handle the constant pressure from the heavy rains. Hoping the plant will manage a better showing later on.

- Pink cherry sized Sweet N Neat

- 3 Earl's Green Cherry from VGD -- the fruits seem to be getting bigger... Closer to regular cherry size... With one of the NOT's from FR. I got the seeds in a trade and the person who provided the seeds thinks it could be an accidental cross since he didn't bag the flowers and I should save seeds and try growing them out if they taste good.

- 2 Kootenai are both splitting at near but not quite ripe stage again
(before harvesting)

- The beefsteak shaped large fruit in the middle is the one that I thought might NOT be Jaune Flammeé but turning it over, you can see the bi-color streaks forming, so I gues it IS. I think I might have picked this too early, but seeing the other cracked fruits kind of got me anxious. It is ridiculously big -- I don't think this is normal size. Here are photos of the rest of the truss before harvesting this one:

- Next we have two Native Sun. The larger one is from SF&H Winter Trial bed which is shaded by the trees behind our property all morning, and the smaller one is from the SM (Sunny Meadow) Spiral Garden, but this particular plant is in an especially shady back portion where morning sun is solidly blocked by the neighbor's house, and a densely overhanging neighbor's ornamental plum (they planted it right at the property line....) blocks the light even more (I'm thinking of getting rid of some more of those branches. I need some mulch anyway :twisted: )
Here's the larger fruit before it was harvested:

- 4 Snow White from the gigantic plant in the SMSG. This plant is only 2 or 3 plants from the Native Sun. Is it because it's a cherry that it's doing better or does 5 or 6 feet into better light make all the difference?
This cluster was below knee height. I had to crouch way down and fend off the mosquitoes to take this photo:

- Red fruit is a container Beaverlodge Slicer in KP garden:

applestar
Mod

Today's picks:

The big globular yellow fruit is 2nd Jaune Flammeé from the Spiral Garden: (before harvest)

The other yellow more flattened fruit is 1st Burszyn from the Winter Trial bed: (before harvest)

2 Sweet N Neat from the 2gal bucket.

Dark fruit in the middle is 1st Tazmanian ?chocolate from the center of the Spiral Garden. I was disappointed to see a BER starting (on the other side) and there was another ripe fruit as well as two green ones with bottom half completely gone. The plant is also showing signs of possible blight, not just septoria. But considering how often that center swale was filled ith water, it might be no wonder. I clipped off most of the badly damaged leaves and fruits. Hopefully the plant will turn around and recover because there are plenty of good looking green fruits: (before harvest)

Green fruit cluster I accidentally cut off while clipping diseased leaves and 3 Snow White.

Oblong fruit is another container Beaverlodge Slicer. The one in Winter Trial bed has almost ready to pick fruits.

Globular fruit with green is 1st Ubiquany in VGC. Larger fruit than I thought it was going to be: (before harvest)

applestar
Mod

Yesterday and today's picks (not everything harvested are represented in the photos):

-- Jaune Flammeé, Tigerella, (not) Earl's Green Cherry
-- 1st Gajo de Melon, Zarnitsa, 1st Beaver Lodge Slicer (SF&H Winter Trial)

-- Sweet N Neat, (not) Earl's Green Cherry (2 boxes)
-- Gajo de Melon, 1st *not* Spudatula (FR), 1st Bloody Butcher
-- Gajo de Melon, 1st Extreme Bush, 1st Orange Banana
-- lots of Snow White and Coyote, (empty box), 1st tiny BER White Queen

(not) Earl's Green Cherry:

Gajo de Melon with Orange Banan in background:

Extreme Bush:

*NOT* Spudatula:
Last edited by applestar on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "Spudatula" was mislabeled >> ID as *not* Spudatula for now

applestar
Mod

These aren't really winter indoor candidates, but I'm putting the earlier maturing varieties in here anyway since these didn't come out of the Spiral Garden either. :| Maybe Monomakh's Hat is a candidate since it's a semi-determinate, obviously productive, and early-mid with large interesting (heart shaped pink) fruits. Definitely saving seeds from (not) Earl's Green Cherry. :wink:

Today some big fruits were ready to pick:

-- 1st Stump of the World from FR, 1st Monomakh's Hat, Beaver Lodge Slicer
-- double Jaune Flamme from FR, Native Sun, *not* Spudatula, (not) Earl's Green Cherry (3)
-- 1st Russo's Sicilan Togetta (3 slightly fluted), 1st Kamatis Tagalog from FR (4 deeply lobed), Sinister Minister F4 grape/plum cherry

Stump of the World:

Russo's Sicilian Togetta:

Kamatis Tagalog:

Monomakh's Hat:
Last edited by applestar on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "Spudatula" was mislabeled >> ID as *not* Spudatula for now

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have no experience with some of these, Applestar, but it seems odd to me that Bloody Butcher seems to be "lagging" for you. Is that kind of correct, many others are ripening ahead of it?

Bloody Butcher will likely be the first to ripen in my garden this year.

The Jaune Flamme, I didn't find especially early. In fact, you have others ripening that I have decided not to grow because they are listed as late-season varieties. I wonder if all the rain you have been having is giving you a different ripening schedule than you might have on a different year or may have indoors.

I am sorry you are having problems with the Kootenai - maybe it is a rain problem. I just learned a short while ago that seed for this variety is still available. I grew it just at the time it was introduced in the mid-70's! In fact, the seed came from the University of Idaho. (If you look at a satellite picture of Kootenai County Idaho ~ over there, right on the border, there in the garden ~ that's me waving at you!)

Image Steve

applestar
Mod

Hmm... Interesting comparison, digitS... :? (BTW -- many many varieties this year and mostly ones I never heard of :() I'm not bagging the flowers so they will be all OP, but I will be collecting seeds.)

-- in a few days, I'm going to post a summary of all the varieties that produced mature fruits by mid-July as my own Early-Mid season time limit. I'll indicate when the seeds were started, when they were planted out, and first mature (fruit color has completely turned from green to within days of fully ripe) were harvested.

It would be informative if everyone who has experience with the varieties could post their own observations like you did. Even though performances may vary from year to year, I'm going to draw a conclusion from what I get this year and pick a limited number of candidates to try growing in the winter, and see how they do.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Applestar, I think you were wise to try all of these outdoors!

One thing, you will be able to taste each of them. Remember taste? I am sure that is THE primary reason Applestar is trying these - and not just for our interest and pleasure :wink: .

If there are some that you find especially appealing and yet they had 1 or 2 shortcomings outdoors, maybe you can include them in your indoor trials over the next few winters. Successful production will be an accomplishment and I bet some of those will perform well and be just what you want for your table!

Steve

applestar
Mod

digitS' wrote:One thing, you will be able to taste each of them. Remember taste? I am sure that is THE primary reason Applestar is trying these - and not just for our interest and pleasure :wink:
:oops: I'll start commenting on how they taste :oops:
I'm tending to pick them few days before fully ripe though, since I'm not sure about predisposition to splitting.

Today's picks:

-- Beaver Lodge Slicer (SF&HWT), Bloody Butcher, 1st (SMSG) Pineapple Pig**
-- Gajo de Melon, Sweet N Neat, Burszyn, 1st Lucky Leprechaun (AG), Snow White (SMSG)* / Sweet Beverley / Snow White (FR)* / Coyote, Earl's Green Cherry (VGD)
-- 1st (SMSG)* Kamatis Tagalog, *not* Spudatula, Kamatis Tagalog (FR)*, (not) Earl's Greeen Cherry, Jaune Flammeé (FR)
-- Tigerella (3 SMSG and 1SF&HWT)*, 1st 2 ?not? White Queen***, Ubiquany
-- Kootenai, Sinister Minister F4

*Snow White, Kamatis Tagalog, and Tigerella from the Spiral Garden seem to be larger.
**Was surprised to see a Pineapple Pig but it was started early as were Kamatis Tagalog and Stump of the World.
***I thought White Queen is supposed to be larger. Color is correct, but these are large cherry size ???]
1st Kamatis Tagalog (SMSG)
1st Kamatis Tagalog (SMSG)

applestar
Mod

digitS' wrote:Well, I'm back on the 27th to see the pictures :wink: !

I'm curious about the Tigerella, Applestar. Can you give us some idea on the size of the fruit?

Tigerella has done well in my garden and it is good and early. Of course, I don't know about indoors over the winter.

Steve
Revisiting Tigerella, most have been 2-3" diameter. Amazing solid red flesh under the stripes with green gel. Having white core issues at the moment but this may be environmental. Assertive flavor.

applestar
Mod

*NOT* Spudatula -- blocky oblong. So far, keeps developing anthracnose spots and have to be eaten while outer skin is orange red as if still not ripe. Interior flesh is pink at this point and has mildly sweet uncomplicated refreshing flavor that is somehow very easy to eat.

I spent this morning taste testing and seeding tomatoes as well as seeding and freezing ripe tomatoes that won't get eaten fresh in time. So I was quite full of tomatoes -- really yummy strong assertive and memorable ones like Stump of the World, Native Sun, Pineapple Pig, Tasmanian Chocolate, Gajo de Melon -- all received thumbs up from DH (I asked which ones would he want me to grow again and he said ALL OF THEM :lol:. Monomakh's Hat with solid meaty nearly seedless space cavities, not as flavorful, but somehow satisfying was voted as likely candidate for great hamburger tomato.

But I found another approx 3.5" spotty *NOT* Spidatula at the last minute and I had to process it -- I was going to not eat any and just freeze, but took one little bite to remember the flavor, and before I knew it, I had eaten it all. :roll:

applestar
Mod

The other day, I forgot to make note of first harvest of Blondkofchen cherry tomato. I actually don't remember which day it was because I forgot to write it down. I think it was in the last week when it started to rain while I was harvesting and I hightailed it back inside, not taking photos... I remembered a day or two later, but the small cherry sized light yellow blushed fruits were lost among the others.

Today, I noticed these two orange cherries and wondered what they were... Then remembered. :idea)
2 fully ripe Blondkofchen discovered among coyote and Matt's Wild Cherry
2 fully ripe Blondkofchen discovered among coyote and Matt's Wild Cherry
I think that one light yellow colored fruit is in factt a small Snow White, and there are a couple of pink Sweet n Neat in here, too. :lol:

Snow White are usually larger full cherry size:
Snow White
Snow White

applestar
Mod

I've been meaning to post a preliminary Winter Indoor Grow finalist picks. I consider the trial itself concluded at this point since any variety that matures later than this is probably too slow in the winter's less than ideal conditions.

Immediately obvious due to their (extra early, tasty, productive, compact) qualities were
1) Sweet N Neat -- extra compact, small cherry, pink
2) Manö -- extra compact, Saladettes (golf ball), red, good keeper
3) Kootenai (and Extreme Bush) -- Saladettes (racket ball), red. Kootenai tended to split but was more compact. Kootenai may be more flavorful than Extreme Bush. Intact Kootenai fruits picked early are better keepers. Fruits are comparable in appearance as to be indistinguishable >>Kootenai may be (slightly) superior overall

Because these are cherries/saladettes, despite their larger plant size their (extra early, tasty, productive) qualities qualifies:
4) Snow White -- 1" average cherry, ivory/light yellow
5) Not Earl's Green Cherry -- large cherry, orange red
6) Coyote -- small cherry, ivory/light yellow
7) Matt's Wild Cherry -- small cherry, red
8 ) Gajo de Melon -- Golfball sized, ivory/light yellow and light pink bi-color flesh, green gel; milder in flavor than Jaune Flammeé
9) Tigerella -- Golfball sized, red/yellow striped with red flesh, green gel; splits easily

Larger fruited larger plant sized but these have (early, extra tasty, productive) qualities that may make them worth the reduction in fruit size due to restricted container size:
10) Kamatis Tagalog -- especially due to fruit shape and productivity. Tangy flavor good for salads, sandwiches and sauce.
11) Beaverlodge Slicer -- productivity. Tangy flavor good for salads, sandwiches and sauce.
12) Jaune Flammeé --
13) Spudakee -- place holder because its still winning the taste tests here... Looking for another variety that is earlier, more productive and compact.

Zarnitsa and Sophie's Choice matured later than the above listed varieties. Donomater F2 and Spudakee matured later than Z or SC last winter. Zarnitsa and DonomaterF3#4 are currently producing 2-1/2" large fruits. Sophie's Choice which is supposed to produce up to 4" fruits are not quite, but it IS staying compact.

applestar
Mod

By the way, the Spudakee that is holding its own in these tastings are from a clone of a winter tomato that was planted in a storage tote back in January I think? The fruits are only about 2" diameter -- not much bigger than a large cherry.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

That all looks great. This winter I am going to attempt to grow tomatoes outside. I plan on giving the plants protection but I will see hoe they do. It does get down to 28-29 here but they will be right up against the house and they will have bubble wrap tents and maybe even a sheet thrown over them when I know it is going to be cold. So I would imagine it will be similar to your indoor conditions. It probably will get warmer during the day though and colder at night.

BTW where do you get those little wooden baskets? They look great and I would love to buy a few.

applestar
Mod

I got them a long time ago... I think from Jung seeds catalog.... Let me see.
...yep they have both pint size (what I have) and quart size listed on their website
:arrow: https://www.jungseed.com/dc.asp?c1=Garden+Supplies&c=535

...looks like the price has (inevitably) gone up though :| ... I think I paid around $15 for my case, but still not bad price and at that quantity, lasted me a long while. They're nice for giving away smaller produce as gifts and organizing kitchen/pantry cupboards, as well as whimsical small gift packaging. :wink:

applestar
Mod

2017-18 Winter Indoor Tomatoes variety candidates --

A tomato grower from Mississippi said "Mid July seed drops = Mid November fruits" for growing FALL tomatoes.

...which is in line with what I've noted in the past for my Winter Indoor Tomato growing timeline -- that I need to start my seeds of the earliest maturing varieties by beginning of August at latest, to get at least some ripe tomatoes for Christmas, but if I want to have ripe tomatoes for Thanksgiving, I need to start them earlier and later maturing varieties need to be started earlier, too.

I need them blooming and at least setting green fruits by Winter Solstice to make them worthy of being called Winter Indoor Tomatoes. Otherwise, by the time they set fruits in late January to early February, they won't ripen until spring.

So I'm going to be starting my few selections for this year's Winter Indoor Garden this weekend. Already lined up are
- Yellow Canary
- Red Robin
- Nano Ciliegia
- I want to do a mass sowing of my crosses and see if there are any dwarfs/shorties -- I know there were last year, but I lost them all due to mite infestation as well as being lulled by "the option to grow indeterminate varieties in the main season". This time, there is no ifs and or buts, ONLY 4 dwarfs will be grown and taller seedlings will be CULLED. :twisted:

Others being considered from my available seed stash, but still thinking... will be started NEXT weekend along with any other last minute additions -- nominations are welcome!
- Sophie's Choice
- "Tim" F2
- Pimula -- this is a full vining Cherry but I'm thinking of growing it for my "just one" indeterminate cherry selection. It will be this, Coyote, or one of my crosses.

applestar
Mod

FINAL PICK:

Yellow Canary - TimothyT WG-2016
Red Robin - TimothyT WG-2016
Sophie's Choice
Manö x MWC F3 - Paprika's cross from Gixx
MMF-10 F5 (do not share) – Red Robin x Rose Quarts MF from dfollet.CKinNC
MRxZCMF F1 -- look for shortest
MRxSFM F1 – Maglia Rosa x (Stump of the World?+FFSlv+Manö) -- look for shortest
Dwarf Arctic Rose x Utyonok F1 - I'd forgotten about this one!

7/6 Soaked in weak turmeric.citrus tea (eh? Don't ask me, that's what I was drinking at the time, so I diluted it with hot water :> ) since about 5am – so 12 hours, then spoonzeedzipped on vermiculite/sandDE/bit of worm casting.

7/7 Most of Yellow Canary and Red Robin have germinated, half of MMF-10, so I sowed them in top half of coffee creamer bottle SWC's. I have 3 more of these as well as 2 top half of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap bottles SWC's

...of course as FOUND the Nano Ciliegia seeds TODAY... oh what to do.....

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”