Oakley

My First Tomato Harvest

Hey everyone. Within the last two days our Husky Cherry Reds have started to ripen! I purchased the plant in December when it was about 6 inches tall and now it is about 4 ft and full of tomatoes. I really didn't think I'd do good for my first time growing tomatoes, especially indoors, but my wife and I are pleased!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Those are nice healthy looking plants with good production. I've never grown any vegetable plants indoors. Hats off to you for your success.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

It must be that volcanic ash that is rich in minerals! Nice pictures.! i guess you can get alot of compost from ther sea weed along the coast! Are you allowed to take a bucket of sand from the costal areas or is it against the law?
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Oakley

Thanks guys. If I remember right you can take 1 gallon of sand per day from the beach. My main problem with this plant was the soil I used compacted too much but now I learned. The last few days though I am having to water it everyday. That 3 gallon pot is so tiny compared to the plant!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Mix some soil in the water when you water it and it will help alot!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

imafan26
Mod

How did the tomato taste? I've seen the starts but I haven't tried it yet.
I have to ask since tomatoes can grow outdoors year round in Hawaii, why did you choose to grow them indoors instead?
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Oakley

Thanks for the tips. Imafan, I live on Schofield in an apartment that gets minimal direct light on the back porch during the day. My herbs and potatoes are doing fine back there but everything else is growing inside. As for the taste, I will let you know tomorrow. I decided to give them one more night on the vine. I have surgery tomorrow and will be off work after, so I have a lot of gardening to do!

applestar
Mod

Looks really great!
The dwarf Husky varieties -- I believe there are red and orange -- are tentatively on my Wishlist for next year, so I'm eager to hear your flavor report! :D

Good luck on your surgery. :bouncey:

Oakley

My opinion on the Husky Cherry, GREAT! I ate one today and I am very pleased! I really think I am going to keep getting more for awhile. Everyday it has more new flowers and pea sized tomatoes growing. This harvest should last my wife and I for much longer than we anticipated!
Now the Better Bush is flowering too and the Early Girls are looking good! Who knew you could have such a good time with tomatoes? :D

imafan26
Mod

If you live on post, you can apply for one of the community gardens located in Schofield it cost $5 a year. I know it is near some townhomes, and it is next to an undeveloped area I think near Kolekole pass. I have never been there myself. I don't know what their wait list is like.

Your tomatoes are doing really great indoors.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Oakley

I will have to look into that. Im not to far from having to buy another light because of the amount of plants I have growing now, so if I could put some outside, that would really help.

elizabethdennis
Newly Registered

Very nice! Your tomatoes look healthy. I never succeeded in growing vegetables. I don't know if it has something to do with the soil.
Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. ~Lou Erickson

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

elizabethdennis, Not to change the thread intention, but, here on this forum is the place to find out how to grow veggies. It will work for you too!
Guess that's why you're here. Have a great day.

Oakley

Between being sick and work I haven't had much time to get on here. So here's a pic of what I harvested this morning!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Awesome! they look lovely, yes I am jealous. :cry: :D

puddytat1126
Newly Registered

I have never tried any vegetable plants inside my house before.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”